Email archiving software

Hi folks,

Which are the Open Source "file and email archiving" software for both Linux and Windows equivalent to Enterprise Vault Symantec? TIA

B.R.
satimis

So you store your mail in mailbox format and you have your user/pass information in MySQL ? Do you use webmail, outlook/thunderbird or both ? Which features of Symantec Enterprise Vault do you / would you like to use the most ?

hydra said:
So you store your mail in mailbox format and you have your user/pass information in MySQL ?
Yes

Do you use webmail, outlook/thunderbird or both ?
Yes, SquirrelMail and Evolution on Linux

Outlook on Windows

Which features of Symantec Enterprise Vault do you / would you like to use the most ?
I haven't run Symantec Enterprise Vault before. On googling email archiving solution it popup Symantec Enterprise Vault in many threads. Thanks

B.R.
satimis

What are your goals ? To compress your messages ? To move them to a cheaper location ?

Following are the links that allow you to achieve those with Dovecot for example: namespace (archive mail in other namespace), zlib (compression).

Doing a quick search provides this solution: mailarchiva.

hydra said:
What are your goals ? To compress your messages ? To move them to a cheaper location ?

Hi,

To compress the mailbox. But the mails can be searched and read without decompressing, if possible.

Following are the links that allow you to achieve those with Dovecot for example: namespace (archive mail in other namespace), zlib (compression).

Doing a quick search provides this solution: mailarchiva.
Thanks for your links.

1)
Can "zlib" read the mails in "namespace"?

2)
I'll find a VM (a guest on Oracle VirtualBox) to test "mailarchiva". I will build a mail server on the VM. Ah another question, is it possible to find a large sample mailbox for testing?

TIA

B.R.
satimis

Back