emacs + gdb

I'm hoping to single step through a program which has been compiled using gcc with the '-g' option so that I can use gdb, but I want to run it from within emacs. The program works fine on Linux but not on FreeBSD. It needs command line arguments and involves accessing a serial port (/dev/cuaU0).

Can anyone give me any tips on how to start debugging this program?
I suspect the reason it doesn't work on FreeBSD is because serial port handling on FreeBSD is different to Linux... What to look for? Where to set breakpoints?

This gives me a start... but keep hitting all sorts of errors like being told that I did not specify -i=mi on GDB's command line when I clearly did.

Trying to enter command line parameters is difficult since gdb seems to think the parameters are for gdb... not sure if I should put quotes around all the parameters...

I know this post has nothing to do with gdb, I just thoght I would show you that sometimes you don't need to tear apart code to get a Linux program working.

In theory it should work because the serial port is specified as a command line parameter. There is no conf file.

I just want to figure out what happens when it tries to open the port... Shouldn't be too difficult... Getting the hang of gdb is proving to be the difficult bit.

Back