Elasticsearch 7 and FreeBSD 12.1 openfiles limit (Jail)

I am trying to install and set up elasticsearch 7 in an iocage jail. I get an error when trying to run elasticsearch:

[1]: max file descriptors [16384] for elasticsearch process is too low, increase to at least [65535]

I have tried to increase the max file limit of the jail to 65536 by doing sysctl kern.maxfiles=65536 and adding it to the /etc/sysct.conf file but I get an error saying the operation isn't supported. I also read that I can further tune the settings of the jail by adding kern.racct.enabled="1" to /boot/loader.conf. I haven't added this line yet because I couldn't find any info on the parameter and was a little hesitant to modify the loader.conf file without fully understanding what I was doing.

Is there a way to increase the file limit of the jail? Do I need to increase the file limit on the host system first?

Thanks.

System info:
Host OS: 12.1-RELEASE
Jail OS: 12.1-RELEASE-p5
Elasticsearch v 7.7.1 (installed from packages)

output of limit(from within the jail):
root@elasticsearch:~ # limit
cputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize 33554432 kbytes
stacksize 524288 kbytes
coredumpsize unlimited
memoryuse unlimited
vmemoryuse unlimited
descriptors 16384
pseudoterminaunlimited
kqueues unlimited
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc 30430
sbsize unlimited
swapsize unlimited

output of limit(from the host server):
brian@server:~ % limit
cputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize 33554432 kbytes
stacksize 524288 kbytes
coredumpsize unlimited
memoryuse unlimited
vmemoryuse unlimited
descriptors 16384
pseudoterminaunlimited
kqueues unlimited
memorylocked 64 kbytes
maxproc 30430
sbsize unlimited
swapsize unlimited

you can only increase kern.maxfiles from the host. you can tune it further per jail with rctl.
Code:
kern.racct.enabled="1"
goes on the /boot/loader.conf on the host as well.

you can only increase kern.maxfiles from the host. you can tune it further per jail with rctl.
Code:
kern.racct.enabled="1"
goes on the /boot/loader.conf on the host as well.

Does kern.maxfiles go in sysctl.conf or loader.conf? I saw that some people were doing it in both places when I searched online.

And is it kern.racct.enable or enabled? In the docs for Resource Limits (section 13.13.2) it says 'kern.racct.enable'.

it's
Code:
kern.racct.enable="1"
usually the read-only sysctl variables go into /boot/loader.conf although looking at /boot/defaults/loader.conf you'll see this entry
Code:
#kern.maxfiles=""               # Set the sys. wide open files limit

it's
Code:
kern.racct.enable="1"
usually the read-only sysctl variables go into /boot/loader.conf although looking at /boot/defaults/loader.conf you'll see this entry
Code:
#kern.maxfiles=""               # Set the sys. wide open files limit

Okay, Thanks I'll try these out and see how they work.

Back