Other efibootmgr does not show up

Hi everyone,

Freebsd and Linux Mint are installed on separate disks.
efibootmgr is activated on both OS.
However when booting I get a black screen for 8 +/- secs.
Subsequently the OS according to "Bootorder" boots.

Upon efibootmgr I get on Freebsd
Code:
Boot to FW : false
BootCurrent: 000b
Timeout    : 8 seconds
BootOrder  : 000B, 0001, 000A, 0009, 0008, 0003, 0002, 0007, 0000, 000E, 0011, 9999, 9998                                           
+Boot000B* FreeBSD                                                           
 Boot0001* ubuntu

On Linux the output is similar except for this ominous first line.
My questions are:
Why is an initial display "Freebsd" vs "Linux" missing?
What does the first line reveal?

Thank you.
winkoe

(U)EFI has a boot order; this shows the order in which boot loaders are started. And with efibootmgr, you can see and change this order.
(U)EFI doesn't have a boot menu. Your UEFI / BIOS might have one, but that usually requires that you press a "boot key" (F12, F9 or another key).

Yeah, there is nothing to "show up". If you're looking for a UEFI bootmanager that presents you with a menu you might want to have a look at rEFInd.

Why is an initial display "Freebsd" vs "Linux" missing?

Cause your BIOS is directly booting on FREEBSD (+Boot000B+ entry) so unfortunately you're missing the fancy GRUB menu.
Maybe try to change the EFI boot order in BIOS?
With a little luck your Linux install already detected FreeBSD and the boot option will be available.

Yeah, there is nothing to "show up". If you're looking for a UEFI bootmanager that presents you with a menu you might want to have a look at rEFInd.

Since he dual boots Linux, maybe GRUB could handle this too? (with a little configuration hassle).
Most probably he already has two EFIBOOT partitions.

Most probably he already has two EFIBOOT partitions.
That's not going to work though. Some BIOS/UEFI implementations will actually croak on that. There should be only one ESP (EFI System Partition).

Back