efiboot0 remains on XFCE Desktop after a dd of ubuntu installer

I downloaded yesterday on my freeBSD (13.3-RELEASE-p5) ...

I think that mirror hasn't changed and probably any ubuntu-24.04.1 will be the same

After the download completed i did as root ...

# dd if=ubuntu-24.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=1m

The USB stick (/dev/da0) did what I needed and was able to install ubuntu on a seperate laptop

But ever since there is a efiboot0 file on my FreeBSD XFCE Desktop

I have seen this behaviour before (many years ago) but not with EFI so am rather concerned

I have tried to right click on the efiboot0 and "safely remove" and "unmount" but no

If I right click and "mount" I get the following using tab completions ...

$ cd /media/ADATA_SX8200PNP_2J4920146428_p1/efi/boot/
BOOTx64.efi startup.nsh

ADATA is my main nvme drive

What are you using for automount? Because it detects a 'mountable' partition and simply mounts it.

This is strange so I tried some other Desktops running XFCE and as you mentioned, 14.1 (a couple) and 13.2 ... I can plug a USB (FAT32) into them and guess what .... it works!

Now will go back to why I get that /media/ADATA_SX8200PNP_2J4920146428_p1/efi/boot/ i guess :)

I haven't set up automount(8)

Actually FAT32 isn't a good test, haven't tried ntfs or other mac file systems, however it may affect the original problem

The EFI partition is formatted with FAT32. The fact it gets mounted on /media means it's some sort of automouting service that does it.

The EFI partition is formatted with FAT32. The fact it gets mounted on /media means it's some sort of automouting service that does it.
Thanks I forgot EFI uses FAT32 so that explains it.

I still don't know why XFCE (or is it FreeBSD?) allows me to mount FAT32 without configuring automount.

$ sysctl vfs.usermount
vfs.usermount: 0

Also not sure why the efiboot0 icon suddenly appeared on the desktop after that dd copy

Maybe it has been able to mount FAT32 for a long time but I haven't used FAT32 in ages so wouldn't know.

Is it because EFI uses FAT32 so it is a requirement?

Anyway, I can disable mounted disk icons from appearing on the XFCE Desktop:- Desktop Settings -> Icons -> Default Icons -> Untick Removable Devices

While here I also noticed my FreeBSD 14.1 has an icon on the XFCE desktop, but it's /dev/ada0p2 which is my swap partition. :)

I still don't know why XFCE (or is it FreeBSD?) allows me to mount FAT32 without configuring automount.
Originally Gnome, KDE and XFCE used sysutils/hal, it did this "automount" of sticks, CDs, partitions and whatnot. But HAL went the way of the dodo and got replaced with various other "helper" applications like sysutils/automount and sysutils/automounter. Note that these tools are different from automount(8). Naming is similar but their purpose is quite different.

Maybe it has been able to mount FAT32 for a long time but I haven't used FAT32 in ages so wouldn't know.
It's included with the base OS, msdosfs(5).
Is it because EFI uses FAT32 so it is a requirement?
Nah, msdosfs(5) existed long before UEFI became the norm.

Back