Solved efi partition and rEFIt

Hi!

Today I found the article about installing rEFIt boot manager direct in
the efi partition:
https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/Installing_rEFIt_on_the_EFI_system_partition

I have FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE (amd64) installed on iMac 11,1 (late 2009)
without OS X system When I boot computer I hold the Alt key and it shows
me EFI boot, press enter and it works. But as an article says it will skip to hold the
alt key because rEFIt menu will shows and I will just hit ENTER because I do not have any other OS on but maybe I will have :).

Does anyone has expirience, please?

Thank you.

Hi Mate

I run Freebsd 12 on a MacBook air 2011 and you shouldnt need to hold down alt and select your efi partition or use rEFit

When you install Freebsd 12 you should set the partition scheme to bios+uefi
then your mac will boot straight into Freebsd without you having to press alt and select the efi partition

if you didnt select bios+uefi as the partition scheme during the install or if you did and its not booting into Freebsd
you can bless the efi partition on your internal drive using mac osx installed on an external drive and the bless command

blessing the efi partition will make your Mac boot straight into Freebsd without having to hold down alt,
select the efi partition and then pressing enter saving valuable seconds and possible rsi injuries

i have written a full guide on how to bless the efi partition on a mac so it boots into Freebsd straight away

heres the link on how to bless the efi partition on mac hardware

freebsd bless efi partition on mac hardware

Hi Mate

I run Freebsd 12 on a MacBook air 2011 and you shouldnt need to hold down alt and select your efi partition or use rEFit

When you install Freebsd 12 you should set the partition scheme to bios+uefi
then your mac will boot straight into Freebsd without you having to press alt and select the efi partition

if you didnt select bios+uefi as the partition scheme during the install or if you did and its not booting into Freebsd
you can bless the efi partition on your internal drive using mac osx installed on an external drive and the bless command

blessing the efi partition will make your Mac boot straight into Freebsd without having to hold down alt,
select the efi partition and then pressing enter saving valuable seconds and possible rsi injuries

i have written a full guide on how to bless the efi partition on a mac so it boots into Freebsd straight away

heres the link on how to bless the efi partition on mac hardware

freebsd bless efi partition on mac hardware

What was the problem. My old hard drive didn't work anymore. I bought the new one, replaced it and install FreeBSD 12.0 on. I decided to auto partitioning and FreeBSD made

Code:
 40  976773088  ada0  GPT  (466G)

40     409600     1  efi  (200M)

409640  968474624     2  freebsd-ufs  (462G)

968884264    7888864     3  freebsd-swap  (3.8G)
I accepted. If I hold Alt key is faster than I wait to boot by itself and what I read about install rEFIt on efi partion is helpful. And I do not want OS X anymore because for what I need OS is FreeBSD enough and I feel safer than pn OS X.
I also reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC because I thought will help with my problem with radeon driver but it didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back