Editing and Deleting your Posts

The section in the FAQ on "Editing and Deleting your Posts" (among others, but in particular) needs updating for reality, otherwise there's really no point in providing a FAQ at all that is incorrect and irrelevant. Yes, I would offer to do it, but of course I wouldn't be looking in the FAQ if I already knew the answers :) At the moment I can only tell what it says is wrong, not what it should say instead.

And can you tell us what's actually wrong with the answer in the FAQ? :)

If I'm not mistaken it is completely generic and unedited by anyone who has changed the defaults which allow posters to edit their own posts and imposed restrictions that noone seems too clear about (when I asked I was given incorrect info by someone who appeared to be a mod). It suggests links for edited and unedited posts exist (do they? I've not seen them).

As far as I can tell, I can also never delete my posts.

It's not at all helpful to take the trouble to read the FAQ if it doesn't actually reflect reality. If it's not going to be updated to reflect what actually happens, better to remove it altogether than to mislead posters who've taken the time and trouble to seek answers from it.

It is stated in the first sentence within the parenthesis although the administrator may have turned off this option. I would then deduce that if I can't delete my posts, the administrators have turned that option off. It's not exactly rocket science.

It states that you can edit and delete posts, but with certain restrictions and the possibility that some features might be turned off(like deleting your post). I find it quite clear...

gilinko said:
It states that you can edit and delete posts, but with certain restrictions and the possibility that some features might be turned off(like deleting your post). I find it quite clear...

Cool. Then you can tell me what the restrictions on editing posts are?

As far as I can tell to be able to edit your own posts, you need to belong to group called Regulars. Users are being promoted to this group after certain conditions are met, i.e. currently this means at least 10 approved messages AND 10 days of registered membership.

I have checked your profile and you seem to belong to the mentioned usergroup. This means you should be able to edit your own messages. If not, let me know and I will check the vBulletin options again.

Yes, thanks, given the effluxion of time and my posting history, I was eventually able to edit my own posts. That's not the point I was trying to make.

Can you update the FAQ to include this information rather than the current generic and unhelpful text?

(That was my point, so that others who went to the trouble of checking the FAQ would not be left in the dark.)

Okay, I added a sub-faq to the given section to reflect the reality. Hope it helps.

Back