Easytether questions

Good morning. I'm trying to get easytether working on FreeBSD 12.1. I've installed the FreeBSD package provided by the vendor. I have verified that easytether works on my phone.

My setup is a desktop computer that is plugged in to my local LAN. I get an address from my router using DHCP. When I use the same basic setup under Linux, all I have to do is run easytether-usb and then systemctl restart systemd-networkd to get it working. This gives me an Internet connection over the cell phone, but still lets me ssh locally.
On FreeBSD, when I run easytether-usb -t tap1 my routing table looks like
Code:
netstat -rn4
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Netif Expire
default            10.0.4.1           UGS         em0
10.0.4.0/24        link#1             U           em0
10.0.4.56          link#1             UHS         lo0
127.0.0.1          link#2             UH          lo0
192.168.117.0/24   link#5             U          tap1
192.168.117.1      link#5             UHS         lo0

I have to also run dhclient tap1 to get an address. All this works fine, but my traffic still goes out em0. I feel like I'm close to getting this working, but I don't understand networking as well as I probably should. Can someone help me?

All this works fine, but my traffic still goes out em0. I feel like I'm close to getting this working, but I don't understand networking as well as I probably should.
Look at your default gateway, that's still pointing out of em0. While the link is up on tap1 your routing table is still set to 10.0.4.1 via em0. You need to adjust your routing table, usually by removing the existing default gateway and adding a new gateway with the correct address to route the traffic via tap1.

Look at your default gateway, that's still pointing out of em0. While the link is up on tap1 your routing table is still set to 10.0.4.1 via em0. You need to adjust your routing table, usually by removing the existing default gateway and adding a new gateway with the correct address to route the traffic via tap1.
I'm at work now, so I don't have access to the machine. I'll look into it more when I get home. Thank you.

I've deleted the default route, added the one provided by easytether, and adjusted my DNS settings. My traffic still isn't going out. I can't ping by hostname or IP address.

Focus on plain TCP/IP first, if that doesn't work then name resolving certainly isn't going to work either.

Show the "new" routing table, netstat -rn

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination Gateway Flags Netif Expire
default 192.168.117.1 UGS tap1
10.0.4.0/24 link#1 U em0
10.0.4.56 link#1 UHS lo0
127.0.0.1 link#2 UH lo0
192.168.117.0/24 link#5 U tap1
192.168.117.2 link#5 UHS lo0

It was DNS. For some reason, ping -c3 1.1.1.1 was still trying to use a hostname (one.one.one.one). I just had to add an external dns server to resolv.conf. tcpdump to the rescue.
How do I mark this as solved?

Back