DVB-T dongle

How do I find out if there is support for a particular DVB-T TV dongle?

lsusb shows:-
Code:
Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen1.3: ID 048d:9006 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT9135 BDA Afatech DVB-T HDTV Dongle
Presumably if it was supported it would show up when running pciconf -lv...

I am able to use it with LibreElec on a Raspberry Pi. How would I go about using it on FreeBSD?

I really think it has to be supported in this list to work:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

These dvb devices are complex with 3 layers of chips. MPEG/Tuner/Frontend
The driver has to support all three.. I had luck with PCIe cards on cx88 dvb driver but not with USB WINTV HVR-950Q(In webcamd list too)
Apparently WinTV HVR950Q has different hardware 'revisions'.

I really think it has to be supported in this list to work:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

The last entry under DVB/ATC lists:

Code:
External USB DVB-T adapter

ITE Technologies

DVB-T TV Stick (identifies as "ITE Technologies, Inc." "DVB-T TV Stick")

0x048d:0x9006

webcamd(8)

DVB

FreeBSD

w_scan, VDR

Requires firmware dvb-usb-it9135-01.fw; dual tuner, second tuner now tested and seems to be working, remote not working

which suggests it might work.... How would I go about installing the required firmware?

cat loader.conf

Code:
fuse_load="YES"
#i915kms_load="YES"
#kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1024x768"
umodem_load="YES"
if_cdce_load="YES"
kern.cam.scsi_delay=15000
u3g_load="YES"
cuse_load="YES"

Do you have cuse(3) loading on boot?
I put cuse_load="YES" in loader.conf

I have that line in /boot/loader.conf but cuse does not seem to load.

When I run webcamd -d ugen0.3 I get:-
Code:
webcamd: Could not open /dev/cuse. Did you kldload cuse4bsd?
After running kldload cuse and then webcamd -d ugen0.3 I get
Code:
Attached to ugen0.3[0]
webcamd: Cannot find USB device
usbconfig -d ugen0.3 shows:-
Code:
ugen0.3: <USB Deivce ITE Technologies, Inc.> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

I don't suppose the USB device can't be found because it is described as USB Deivce .... (just clutching at straws...)

Should the device show up when I run pciconf -lv? I don't see it.

Hi, If webcamd doesn't find it, the driver is likely not present in the code or maybe it is not compiled by default. You can try to grep the idVendor and idProduct values from the device descriptor in the webcamd sources. --HPS

usbconfig -d ugen0.3 shows:-
Code:
ugen0.3: <USB Deivce ITE Technologies, Inc.> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

I don't suppose the USB device can't be found because it is described as USB Deivce .... (just clutching at straws...)

Should the device show up when I run pciconf -lv? I don't see it.

After attaching the dongle to a Raspberry Pi running LibreELEC the output from usb-devices via ssh I get the following:-
Code:
T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=03 Dev#=  8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=048d ProdID=9006 Rev=02.00
S:  Manufacturer=ITE Technologies, Inc.
S:  Product=USB Deivce
C:  #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 4 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=dvb_usb_af9035
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 Driver=usbhid

If I log in to thde TVHeadend Server, it identifies the TV Adapter as Afatech AF9033 (DVB-T)

and I see the files
demux0 dvr0 frontend0 net0

under /dev/dvb/adapter0.

How would Linux identify the name of the adapter? The VID/PID is 048d:9006 but no name appears when running usb-devices (under Linux).

It seems that Linux uses a dvb_usb_af9035 driver, presumably this is chosen based on the VID/PID. What would be the equivalent on FreeBSD?

Hi, If webcamd doesn't find it, the driver is likely not present in the code or maybe it is not compiled by default. You can try to grep the idVendor and idProduct values from the device descriptor in the webcamd sources. --HPS

I would try running grep if I had any idea as to where to find a list of the VID/PID values. I looked at the source but it's like searching for a needle in a haystack...

After inserting the same dongle in my ThinkPad T420 it seems to work!

I can't see what I may have done differently....

If the usbconfig tells the same about the device, maybe "webcamd_enable=YES" is not in your /etc/rc.conf ?

I took out "webcamd_and enable=YES" to get a clearer idea as to what was happening been starting it manually specified the USB device to use on the command line.

I'll see if can get it working on my other computer now that I have a clearer idea as to how things work. It does seem fairly complicated getting all this working.

Back