Dual console configuration?

I'm trying to get a system set up to use a dual console at all times, i.e. to start showing output on the serial console as well as the video console from as early as possible until as late as possible/shutdown. Reading through the handbook page on the topic has left me a little confused, as there are two configuration files they mention editing: /boot.config, and /boot/loader.conf.

My understanding is that to get the console on the serial port ASAP, I need to edit /boot.config to add -Dh -S[speed], but it sounds like once that stage of the boot process finishes, it's handed over to the loader which is governed by /boot/loader.conf. This in turn appears to, by default, go back to a single console, selecting either the serial console or the video console depending on the presence of -h in /boot.config. However, it looks like you can continue to use a dual console by setting console="comconsole,vidconsole" in /boot/loader.conf, and then the presence/absence of -h in /boot.config is irrelevant. Is my understanding correct, in that both files need to be present and edited accordingly?

Also, it's unclear if I need to set the speed again in /boot/loader.conf, if I've already set it in /boot.config.

This is the critical line for dual console after loader:
/boot/loader.conf
console="comconsole,vidconsole"

For EFI installs it changes to:
console="comconsole,efi"

Speed is less relevant as it is baked into the kernel. at 115200 baud via 'BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED' setting.
So unless you have a slower device connected it is not needed.

Checkout line 891 for BSDRP settings for dual console.

They mirror what the manual shows for boot.config

This is the critical line for dual console after loader:
Okay, so I do need both configuration files edited.

Speed is less relevant as it is baked into the kernel.
I don't want to bake this into the kernel as I don't want to have to recompile it every time I need to change the speed. I'll set it in every config file, as I don't think it will hurt to put it in more than one place.

Since this thread is not that old I thought I would update it.

On Minnowboard Turbot it was booting up Dual Console with Serial Console and HDMI was being ignored.
Code:
Dual Console: Serial Primary, Video Secondary
I tried the boot.config trick using -P to detect keyboard. That didn't work.
I had to edit my /boot/loader.conf entry.
Code:
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="NO"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="efi,comconsole"
So setting boot_serial="NO" allows dual console boot with VGA first.
Code:
Dual Console: Video Primary, Serial Secondary

Back