Dropbox and freebsd 12 or what alternative ?

Hi
I finish the install of FreeBSD 12 on my laptop.
It seems that it's not possible to install dropbox on FreeBSD because the FreeBSD kernel not use inotify.
Is it right?
Is it possible to install dropbox without using wine on FreeBSD or do you know an alternative of this program for FreeBSD?
Thanks

Hi cyrille

There is an easy way to use dropbox (and other cloud services) under FreeBSD using the rclone package. You can find info about it using pkg search rclone and the you could see something like "Sync files to and from various cloud services".

Then install it doing a pkg install rclone and follow their instructions to configure it.

Official site: https://rclone.org/

I hope this help you. Regards.

OK just test rclone.
Works fine but it's a command line , less friendly than the Linux demon
But I keep it, I'll change my habits, really want to use freebsd as a desktop and learn new things
Thanks a lot :)

Hi cyrille

I know its a little different, but when you have the way that is more efficient and friendly. For example i have many network resources mounted (at boot-time and by demand) and I program that as commands over my bars in XFCE or as shell files in the folders I want to mount the resource. Then when I run the scripts that file dissapear and the system shows me the content of the shared folder. So in that way I see all the filesystem as one system without the use of external tools runing in the system tray that could fail because depends of the desktop or another app.

Regards.

Finally, I use rclone for a week, very simple, well documented.
I wrote a shell script to facilitate his use according to my expectations and it works really well.
Thanks for all.
Solved

I've got a server for my personal hosting web site
But I don't know if it can replace a dropbox.

Do you have a exemple (URL) of cheap server for less than $3/month ? Thanks

Finally, I use rclone for a week, very simple, well documented.
I wrote a shell script to facilitate his use according to my expectations and it works really well.
Thanks for all.
Solved

And if you insist on having a slick system tray icon for use with rclone & DropBox, then I can confirm that RcloneBrowser works perfectly on FreeBSD.

I've got a server for my personal hosting web site
But I don't know if it can replace a dropbox.

Do you have a exemple (URL) of cheap server for less than $3/month ? Thanks
Search lowendbox.com.

You can install on your server seafile, nextcloud or so to work as your Dropbox.

HI,
What is the best way to upload files >350Gb to Dropbox?
I used Dropbox-Api-Command but the transfer is interrupted
Thanks

I think I just used their web interface from my FreeBSD desktop, but obviously that means you have to have a desktop...not sure if you are doing this from a server or a desktop.

I used Dropbox-Api-Command but the transfer is interrupted
Make sure it's not your connection. If the connection drops, even momentarily, these transfers often get interrupted, regardless of the tool you use.

So, I use dropbox on every device I have, but basically you're saying that no one of this packages:

1587241667296.png

Is going to be a running service that will upload and download files as I modify them?
What I mean is that I should handle dropbox by hand?
That's unfortunate to say the least :(

Back