Solved drm-kmod: switching from i915 to amd

I searched for this but didn't find an answer so thought I'd ask. I currently have a Intel CPU with the onboard GPU (HD630). I recently. bought an AMD RX570. I have graphics/drm-kmod installed via ports. When I install the card, can I just change the /etc/rc.conf entry of
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
to
Code:
kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"
and will the drm-kmod driver pick up the new card or will I need to reinstall the driver? I wasn't sure if during my earlier install of drm-kmod, it picked up that I had a HD630 and installed only that module.

boot up and see if it works. that should give you a good idea. if you go black screen and cannot get in, use a install (usb stick) boot that, then go into the shell, mount your system, then fix the line in your rc.conf reboot to get in to re-compile it if need be.

Yeah, card comes in Friday and I have to play cable shuffle from DP to HDMI: learned from a buddy my monitor has DP issues which may account for my lengthy unsolved thread a year or so ago about the display going into DPMS and never coming out. This monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U3415EW) apparently doesn't like DP for some reason, at least with Nvidia cards. Has had zero issues with the onboard Intel graphics and DP. Will find out this weekend if it's happy with AMD and HDMI...

pkg isn't that smart; it doesn't go around "probing" the system to see what hardware is there.

Try pkg info -l drm-kmod to see exactly what files were installed, and I think you'll see .ko modules for a bunch of graphics cards...

OK! Made the switch and just had to add the rc.conf driver line and all is well. Unlike Nvidia cards, I can use DisplayPort and still drop out of X to a terminal and all is well. I am a happy dude right now :cool: . Will do a little gaming later to see how things go. Thanks to those that provided advice.

EDIT - must have this line in /boot/loader.conf as well:
Code:
hw.syscons.disable=1

Back