Driver Development For Intel Wireless (:

Hey guys. How are you all? I come to you today because I want to get into Driver development. I currently have FreeBSD installed on my HP 15-bs212wm, which I want to make a (BSD-licensed) Driver for WiFi. Thank Puffy it's not Broadcom, so I know it's going to be an easier time. Where do I get started? ifconfig doesn't show any Wireless devices. Thanks for any tips, guys, and if I get this done successfully, I'd be MORE than glad to release this Driver as Open Source, and, more specifically, a BSD-licensed one.

You can buy a book for $39 and later realize that you can't write device drivers without vendor-specific documentation.. or you can buy a small USB-Wifi- adaptor for less than $10 to enable Wifi on your FreeBSD - machine. I'm pretty sure what decision you will take :)

As far as I can tell this laptop has an Intel Wifi adapter, doesn't it work with iwm(4)?

ifconfig doesn't show any Wireless devices.
SirDice 'smelled' that you were searching your device with the wrong command.
ifconfig in FreeBSD means: if NOT configured, it won't show wlan0. :) First search your device by command 'dmesg', it'll show something like this :
urtwn0: <Realtek 802.11n NIC, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus3
.. in your case probably Intel.

As far as I can tell this laptop has an Intel Wifi adapter, doesn't it work with iwm(4)?
Hey SirDice. :) Yeah, I tried loading the Kernel Module, but it still didn't work. I'm currently booted into Windows, and of course, tried using ndisgen using the appropriate .sys and .inf Files, but that didn't work either. :\ I even tried using the IWN Module... :(

SirDice 'smelled' that you were searching your device with the wrong command.
ifconfig in FreeBSD means: if NOT configured, it won't show wlan0. :) First search your device by command 'dmesg', it'll show something like this :
urtwn0: <Realtek 802.11n NIC, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus3
.. in your case probably Intel.
Yeah, I tried doing that as well. :) I'll boot into FreeBSD and run dmesg again, just to be sure. I KNOW there's a way to get it to work. :\ What it is, I don't know... :\ I'll post back! :)

You can buy a book for $39 and later realize that you can't write device drivers without vendor-specific documentation.. or you can buy a small USB-Wifi- adaptor for less than $10 to enable Wifi on your FreeBSD - machine. I'm pretty sure what decision you will take :)
Hehe, you've got me wrong... I'm crazy enough to try the former. It may be foolhardy, but I need the practice. :) But, I DO have a Wireless USB Adapter, but there's no driver for it either... :\ Unless... Unless there's a Module I haven't loaded yet. But I need that Dongle for my Debian Server, which currently hosts a Honeypot VM for tech support scammers. >: )

Real Men don't need no stinking vendor documentation; they just use the relevant Linux driver as a template. :D And, they dedicate many months to the project.

Back