doxygen = pkg bomb

hruodr

Code:
% uname -a
FreeBSD fbsd.local 11.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p3 #0: Mon Aug 19 21:08:43 UTC 2019     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
% pkg install doxygen
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 42 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        firefox-69.0.1,1
        poppler-utils-0.78.0

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        doxygen: 1.8.15_3,2
        texlive-base: 20150521_43
        teckit: 2.5.7
        python37: 3.7.6
        wpebackend-fdo: 1.4.0
        libwpe: 1.4.0.1
        xpdfopen: 0.86
        texlive-tlmgr: 20150523_2
        tex-kpathsea: 6.2.1_2
        tex-ptexenc: 1.3.3_2
        libpotrace: 1.12
        zziplib: 0.13.69_1
        tex-web2c: 20150521_3
        openjpeg15: 1.5.2_1
        t1lib: 5.1.2_5,1
        tex-formats: 20150521_2
        texlive-texmf: 20150523_4
        tex-basic-engines: 20150521
        tex-dvipsk: 5.995_2

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
        libreoffice: 6.2.4_2 -> 6.3.4
        libcdr01: 0.1.5_2 -> 0.1.5_6
        webkit2-gtk3: 2.24.4 -> 2.26.4
        raptor2: 2.0.15_11 -> 2.0.15_12
        spidermonkey52: 52.9.0_3 -> 52.9.0_5
        libzmf: 0.0.2_15 -> 0.0.2_19
        icu: 64.2,1 -> 65.1,1
        libmspub01: 0.1.4_10 -> 0.1.4_14
        libe-book: 0.1.3_12 -> 0.1.3_16
        libqxp: 0.0.0_10 -> 0.0.0_14
        libvisio01: 0.1.6_12 -> 0.1.7
        boost-libs: 1.70.0_2 -> 1.72.0
        liborcus: 0.14.1_1 -> 0.14.1_4
        harfbuzz-icu: 2.5.3 -> 2.6.4
        qt5-core: 5.12.2_1 -> 5.13.2
        evolution-data-server: 3.28.5_2 -> 3.28.5_4
        poppler-glib: 0.78.0 -> 0.82.0_2
        poppler: 0.78.0 -> 0.82.0_1
        tracker: 2.0.4_3 -> 2.0.4_5
        libical: 3.0.4_1 -> 3.0.4_3
        libcmis: 0.5.1_12 -> 0.5.2_1

Number of packages to be removed: 2
Number of packages to be installed: 19
Number of packages to be upgraded: 21

The process will require 1 GiB more space.
775 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

Sevendogsbsd

Aspiring Daemon

Assuming, since you didn't actually ask a question, that you are perplexed by the removal of firefox and poppler. According to other threads on this subject, firefox failed to build in one of the FreeBSD repositories so will work itself out next build.

Thread 74413

kpedersen

Daemon

I was also a little bit frustrated to see doxygen pull in so many packages, including texlive base / texmf.

Last time I checked, doxygen generated the .tex files but didn't require you to compile them (and was unable to by itself).

It is a bit like adding Codeblocks as a dependency for CMake because it *can* generate .cpproj files.

Elazar

To reduce the dependencies, one could use Plugins, or addons.

Something as simple as:
Code:
printf("please execute pkg install x to use this feature!/n");
return 0;

OP
OP
H

hruodr

To reduce the dependencies??!! I repeat: doxygen is not dependent of texlive bomb.

Packages made continuously dependencies of non-dependencies.

kpedersen

Daemon

To reduce the dependencies??!! I repeat: doxygen is not dependent of texlive bomb.

Packages made continuously dependencies of non-dependencies.
Well it "can be". If you look at the compile flags of a number of bits of software, you will see that there are lots of --enable-* options. There is no possible way the packager will know which ones you need. They also don't have the manpower to hack on the code to make them loosely bound plugins.

In this case, because doxygen provides a GENERATE_LATEX option and creates a Makefile to build it; I am assuming it needed information about your installed latex compiler to create a suitable Makefile. This is perhaps why it is set as a runtime dependency.

Ports do well to solve this. Otherwise we are into the realm of duplicating a number of packages with subtle build / dependency differences.

I agree with you in this case, just like the nvidia driver dragging in linux compat, this seems a less common requirement and should perhaps just be provided to the user as a note during install.

sidetone

Daemon

In my make.conf, I removed doxygen as a dependency.

One port labeled doxygen as standard documentation, so I had to use an additional entry to remove that from building. I told and explained to the maintainers about that port twice, to label it as doxygen instead of typical documentation in that makefile.

make.conf:
Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET=DOXYGEN
textproc_libe-book_UNSET=DOCS
You can use this example to remove tex, texmf, texlive or other redundant dependencies for doxygen, and tell the port maintainers of the minimum requirements needed to prevent it pulling in so many dependencies. They can make those optional and not a requirement. Some ports make things dependent that they'll override make.conf, so you may have to grep their makefiles and calls to /usr/ports/Mk.

I know doxygen is important, but for my needs, I simply removed it as a dependency. Improving its dependency needs further down will be another needed improvement. It is an improvement I would also like to see implemented in ports. There are a lot of places dependency needs can be improved for ports, as I found a few in the past and informed maintainers, and I bet there are many like this left as the one you found.

This topic is really my gripe about Linuxism dependency hell, and why I complain about it so much. FreeBSD ports provides a way to clean it up, until you get to some upstream software suites, where they complicate things as soon as you point out inefficiencies in it. Like for a Gnome application, such as a game, when I don't use Gnome, it's as if they are making a chess move when they reintroduce a new complication.

OP
OP
H

hruodr

I do not use ports, but packages. I do not have the time to continuously compile all ports on a computer, that is more than enough powerful for my needs, but not powerful enough for compiling everything at every time. And if I need doxygen, then I just download and compile it like I did with TeX. I do need TeX, but do not like the TeX life bloat. Those who build packages seem not to have a little of empathy for those that do not like bombs like TeXlive: it continuously appear as dependency.

kpedersen

Daemon

I did notice another fun one the other day.

vlc from packages installs (directly and indirectly):
gtk+2
gtk+3
qt4

How many GUI libraries does one video player need? ;)

getopt

Aspiring Daemon

Please talk to the port maintainers if it make sense to create port-options instead of making everything possible. While a friendly email might be enough to point to the problem a PR might be appropriate in some cases also.

It is useful to discuss it here, but if you want to stop some annoyances you need to talk to port maintainers or even to upstream devels.

kpedersen

Daemon

I have in the past but to be fair, the port system is potentially already able to deal against this. The issue is that packages are built with the default (99% sane) options that need to drag in more packages than necessary because other use-cases do require the additional functionality.

Before I make noise to the maintainers, I would like to have a potential solution but in this case, I don't think there is. So there is nothing really to fix. In the few ports that I maintain I cannot think of a better system and they are trivial in comparison to other ports.

<ramble>
For me, I install "big" software in a jail and then just redirect the /usr/local folder. Sure it wastes space potentially having duplicate libraries installed but I also like the way Windows does basic software (providing the libs it needs with the .exe in a single folder). Not very UNIX like but modern GUI software is anything but UNIX-like anyway.

The biggest issue in my system is that software is hardcoded to look in '/usr/local/' for plugins, data files, etc. I have various solutions for this but they are all currently a bit naff. Bring me back /opt/sfw, /usr/sfw, /opt/csw any day! ;)
</ramble>

sidetone

Daemon

It can be fixed. It's been pointed out in the past, that certain ports weren't required, and it cleaned up a whole lot of bloat. BSD like replacements also have reduced the need for such bloat.