Dovecot vs. Cyrus IMAP

obsigna

Profile disabled
I got running 3 mail services using FreeBSD which I setup using Postfix/Dovecot. In the distant past (> 10 years) ago I had running mail servers with Postfix and Cyrus IMAP. However, I was not involved when setting it up. I remember, this and then, the mail index BDB became corrupted and we were in need to reconstruct it, and it forgot the read status of the mails.

Now, I need to setup a new mail service and I am tempted to give Cyrus IMAP a try again, not because I am unsatisfied with anything of Dovecot, only the latest Cyrus IMAP comes with fully integrated CardDAV and CalDAV support, which would be really a desirable feature.

I described my current setups with Postfix/Dovecot in a BLog post - https://obsigna.com/articles/1539726598.html - and I am looking to replace the Dovecot part with Cyrus IMAP+xDAV.

Does anybody have experiences with the newer versions of Cyrus IMAP and if possibly can share Pro’s and Con’s compared to Dovecot? Some advices would be appreciated as well.

Last edited:
obsigna said:
Some advices would be appreciated as well.
Since you asked .. don't.

:D

Like you, I have messed with Dovecot/Cyrus and wasted hours and hours. ugh.

I now use and recommend iRedMail. It is amazing!

Do yourself a favor and stand up a test box and give iRedMail a try before you go back to hacking on either Dovecot or Cyrus.

Back