Don't upgrade to MySQL 8.0.29 - corruption issues

Not a FreeBSD issue but I post it here to help people avoid corruption with their databases.

If you still use MySQL 8.0.28 don't upgrade to 8.0.29 as it causes corruption when you have queries like this when data imported in previous versions:

ALTER TABLE wp_wc_admin_note_actions DROP COLUMN `is_primary`

Wordpress plugins "security-malware-firewall" and "woocommerce" (and possible more) when you upgrade them, run the "DROP COLUMN" query which can cause the "silent" corruption.

Some information here:

Daniel Mason was able to reproduce the issue and create a bug report which MySQL team accepted.

If you already upgrade to 8.0.29 then do a mysqlcheck -Ao which will recreate the data and solve the issue for tables that are NOT already corrupted.

If any tables are already corrupted (it's silent corruption so data may be already corrupted and you don't know it) MySQL will crash but you will at least know that tables are corrupted.

I was able to mysqldump && restore using innodb_force_recovery = 1 on some servers, but one MySQL server was not able to even start and I had to restore from backups.

So be aware and not upgrade to 8.0.29.

I always upgrade to the latest "stable" and live with the errors.
Because older versions contain other errors as no software is error-free.
My current version is MariaDB-10.6.8

Back