Domain registrar

Recommend good and honest domain registrar. I include honest because I have read comments for bad practices of some popular registrars. For example - you check for a domain name, it is free and on the next day "somebody" has registered it.

Does rs.internic.net still function?

when I was young and stupid I believed all the hype about privatization being best for all the "services" we rely on. Now that I'm old and cynical...not so much.

CLASSIFY ISPs AS PUBLIC UTILITIES UNDER "title two common carrier" AND REGULATE THEM!
This needs to gather steam again.

I have used namesilo for more than a decade without any issues. They are also very pro-active in warning about renewals, giving you plenty of time beforehand -- and adequate grace after, if your payment fails for any reason.

Gandi.net

Been a customer for years, they're a tad more expensive than the others but worth it. Support has been great when I've needed it. Also, https://www.gandi.net/en-US/no-bullshit
Note that Gandi has been recently acquired / "merged" (see TWS) and policies of its new management seem to diverge from the original policies.
Search HN / Reddit for more info.
One is example is a not insignificant price hike and discontinuation of the free basic email service for registered domains.

Well, I don't know if they do any bad practices like you say, but I've been a name.com customer for a long time and haven't had any complaints. That said you need to take care at checkout because they try to push google-big-fad on you, presumably because they earn a hefty commission. They're also quite cheap, especially if you can wait for a promotion.

I used Gandi for a decade, but I switched away a few months ago when my domains were up for renewal. I was really not happy with the price hike.

I looked at smaller registrars, particularly here in Europe. I want someone who supports DNSSEC, because that's a good thing to have ... I almost went with a small Swedish company, but they somehow screwed with my account creation.

So, I ended up using Google as my new registrar, mostly because of price, but I also expect them to be relatively technically competent and a safe choice in terms of reliability. But I would prefer a smaller, less evil company.

This week I was reading about the recent news at Gandi and then found this: bookmyname.com
Prices seem attractive, note that I do not work over there and I am not affiliate to them in any way, I didn't even try it but I am sure some of you could find it useful.
It even has the icon "powered by freebsd", not a evil company but a daemon one :)

"Powered by FreeBSD" is nice!

But why do so many smaller domain name registrar websites look like they were designed in the 90s? Is it to add an aura of authenticity?

But why do so many smaller domain name registrar websites look like they were designed in the 90s? Is it to add an aura of authenticity?
1) It can be a test to make sure the customers know the proverb "do not judge a book by its cover".
2) May be the design is as old as the website is, the owner just prefer to fix security issue instead of spending time to modernize it.

I understand what you mean I also prefer when website looks a bit more "modern", but if it works well it's okay for me, just like freshports.org.

Namecheap seems to be nice, I *think* fastmail was promoting it back then when I tried it and that was enough for me (I could be misremembering though).

Back