Does Using A virtual instance of FreeBSD make me a trader?

As of no I am using FreeBSD 13.1 in a virtual Machine as I can't afford either monetarily or space wise to have bare metal to drop an install onto.

Does this make me any less of a contributing member of the FreeBSD community?

As of no I am using FreeBSD 13.1 in a virtual Machine as I can't afford either monetarily or space wise to have bare metal to drop an install onto.

No, why would you even think so? Running in a VM only means the OS is interacting with virtualized hardware instead of physical hardware, but all other functions, programming, etc. are the same. Many people only have the option of running virtualized, and it is an important contribution to use FreeBSD in any environment that works and share the knowledge you gain.

I run FreeBSD 13.1 as a virtual machine on a Windows machine under Hyper-V. I often feel like a second-class user from the responses get in the support forums. Apparently, the problems I've encountered are dismissed because the problem doesn't occur on the bare-metal machines used by the developers. Microsoft's Hyper-V forums isn't anymore helpful.
Twenty years ago using FreeBSD 6, I didn't experience any problems running FreeBSD under Hyper-V. Later, Microsoft announced that FreeBSD would natively support Hyper-V. Again, no problems. At some point around the time of FreeBSD 12, it all started to fall apart. The shared clipboard between Windows and FreeBSD stopped working. Even cut/paste from within a terminal session stopped working. I had significant problems bringing up Xorg. It took me many weeks getting Xorg running in FreeBSD 13.1, and even then all I could create was a 640x480 session.
As long as both Microsoft and FreeBSD treat FreeBSD under Hyper-V as an unwanted stepchild, I don't expect it to get any better.

Nope. I would say all are welcome. I've been running FreeBSD on bare metal for years but in the last couple of months I've virtualized all of my FreeBSD machines. Just because you're running it in a VM doesn't make your contribution any less worthy. In fact, the last patch I submitted was developed exclusively inside a FreeBSD VM.

Do what you like and as you can , it's probably what is the most important.
I personally didn't read here anything like you described, most of the time people are nice.
Virtualized OS users are not blacklisted from what I saw to this day, so I guess all agreed to say that you're welcome with or without your VM :)

No not at all. I run FreeBSD in a VM from time to time. At the moment I'm running 13.1 on my trusty old T410 Thinkpad.

Back