Solved Does Unbound not support dynamic DNS update?

Unbound is nothing more but a caching DNS resolver. So obviously it won't support dynamic DNS updates because it won't have any records to update in the first place ;)

(edit)

No, this does not mean that you'd have to do this manually. Every DNS record has a so called TTL, which stands for Time To Live. Meaning: DNS servers (and caching servers) will know that it is safe to cache this record for as long as the TTL tells them to. After that period it will automatically try to refresh the record again. ... or not depending on how you configured the server of course.

If you're looking for an easy DHCP/DNS solution (with "dynamic" DNS) you may want to have a look at dns/dnsmasq.

Sorry, I am not referring to the Unbound which is provided in the FreeBSD base system.

I am not referring to the Unbound which is provided in the FreeBSD base system.
They're the same. The port is slightly newer and a bit more up to date but the functionality is exactly the same.

They're the same. The port is slightly newer and a bit more up to date but the functionality is exactly the same.
Did this change recently? I recall being required to compile the port for our environment, due to restrictions present in the unbound in the base system. I forget exactly what it was (I think it was either that it wouldn't bind itself to anything other than 127.0.0.1 / ::1 or that it didn't support stub zones), but there was definitely something different about it.

Edit: Granted there are other reasons to use the port instead of the base package. Who doesn't remember constantly having to update FreeBSD due to vulnerabilities when BIND was still in base?

Ah, that was it. It probably doesn't matter for SO/HO situations, but when things need to scale well it's probably worth building the port.

Back