Does this window manager exist?

I want to try a window manager that behaves a bit like a tiling window manager in that it's super lightweight and keyboard driven, but has no concept of tiling windows (which I don't like). A window manager that has two window modes: full screen and floating only. Every app runs full screen, but notification type windows are floated by default. Additionally each unique app (process name I guess) is automatically allocated to its own desktop (and/or preset from a config), and all apps of the same name get grouped together on that one desktop in full screen with tabs. I think it'd be great on low resolution screens which often go hand in hand with lower power computing devices.

I realise WMs like DWM have both these modes, but the automatic allocation to a fresh desktop and the grouping by tabs would be useful behaviour.

Anyone know of a WM like this?

It's may be JWM or IceWM, who uses with PuppyLinux -- it's super lightweight OS and usable under PCs who has low resolution screens like Asus eeePC with 800x480 or 1024x600.
P.S. IMHO, your prefered feature like tiling window is not compatible to low resolution screens...
P.P.S. If you need to attempt to Puppy using without full installation (it take about 5-10 minutes on simple manual works and take about 1/4 Gb workspace only on various FS) then say me and I can suggest you for how to do it... :)

aam2 said:
P.S. IMHO, your prefered feature like tiling window is not compatible to low resolution screens...
No, I said I don't want tiling. I want most windows to run full screen.

So far the suggestions aren't what I'm after. Thanks though! I'll keep looking... :)

/x11-wm/musca is a tiling window manager, but unlike most, it doesn't automatically tile whenever you launch an app. Tiling is manual only.

So if you haven't told musca to divide the current workspace into tiles, it won't. Your app will run full-screen. If you then launch a second app, it also runs full-screen, overlaying the first one.

For most apps, if it pops up a dialog window, musca will float it on top of the parent window, as expected. (I say "most" because it seems some apps don't conform to the relevant standards.)

musca supports multiple workspaces, so you can have several apps running, each in its own workspace, and all of them full-screen.

Apps that create multiple child windows (e.g., gimp-like "tool palettes") don't work as well in musca's tiling mode, since it will want to create each window as a full-screen window (unless you manually create the tiles). But you can always switch the workspace to non-tiling (aka "stacked") mode in order to display all of the app's windows at the same time. (And you can still run apps full-screen in non-tiling mode.)

Everything in musca is keyboard-driven, like most tiling wm's. :e

I haven't done it myself, but I believe it is possible to configure musca to launch apps in a new workspace.

Anyway, give musca a look. I think that the absence of automatic tiling is what sets it apart from other tiling wm's. Unless I'm missing something, it can meet all of your stated requirements.

Back