Does pkg overwrite immutable files?

I have kind of a strange one here. I have an HP officejet pro 8600, so consequently, I have to run hplip on my system to print. This works fine except that systray.py runs, and while it does not show up in my KDE/plasma tray, what it does do is to use up 100% of one of my cores. Constantly. If I kill the process and remove the file, eventually it will get replaced. So what I did was to zero out the file, and then use chflags schg systray.py, which did make it immutable.

However, I noticed that my system was a bit laggy a couple of days ago, and in top, there it was, that python3.9 systray.py process, and when I checked it, the file was not zero length any more, and wasn't immutable. Is this something pkg does? Is there a better approach to disabling of systray.py?

Thanks,
--vr

Is this something pkg does?
Looking at the pkg source, I think so, yes, it has code to remove flags from directories/files in pkg_delete_file(), libpkg/pkg_delete.c; and it's likely expected, otherwise updating would fail for you being unable to delete existing files/install new files.

I don't know of a proper fix here, could be it created some "autostart" items for KDE (sorry, not using it, just trying to provide some ideas)?

Back