Does 14.1 have a working driver for ethernet adapter Realtek RTL8125?

Newbie to FreeBSD here, just installed version 14.1 and the installer said no network adapters available/found.
In Linux I got the network adapter details by issuing lspci:
Code:
0e:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

I looked through some forum posts for '8125' and found the following but they seem out of date:

Once FreeBSD 14.1 was installed I looked around and found what appears to be the correct kernel driver file: if_re.ko
It was found in /boot/kernel directory.

As the examples in the forum posts listed above referred to this kernel driver file being in /boot/modules directory, I copied it there.

Again, following the post's advice, I modified 2 files:

1. /boot/loader.conf:

I added the following:
Code:
  if_re_load="YES"
  if_re_name="/boot/modules/if_re.ko"

2. /etc/rc.conf:

I added the following:
Code:
  ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
  ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"

3. run this: /etc/netstart

4) reboot

After rebooting, I issued an ifconfig command and only saw the loopback interface lo0, so the expected re0 interface hasn't been set up.
I verified with a ping 8.8.8.8 and it reported that no network path was found.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Once FreeBSD 14.1 was installed I looked around and found what appears to be the correct kernel driver file: if_re.ko
It was found in /boot/kernel directory.

As the examples in the forum posts listed above referred to this kernel driver file being in /boot/modules directory, I copied it there.
That's not how it's done. What you copied is the kernel module provided with the FreeBSD kernel.

You need to install net/realtek-re-kmod.

If you have a smartphone plug it in over USB, activate USB tethering on phone, execute on FreeBSD dhclient ue0, and pkg install realtek-re-kmod

In case no smartphone is at hand, download from a machine with internet connection

. https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly/All/pkg-1.21.3.pkg
. https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly/All/realtek-re-kmod-1100.00.pkg

Transfer by USB disk on FreeBSD machine, execute:

SIGNATURE_TYPE=none pkg add pkg-1.21.3.pkg

pkg add realtek-re-kmod-1100.00.pkg

Follow instructions from the post-install message regarding /etc/loader.conf.

If the 1100.00 is unstable, try net/realtek-re-kmod198.

The if_re.ko kernel module from the realtek-re-kmod package is build for 14.0 kernel, but it should work on 14.1 as well.

That's not how it's done. What you copied is the kernel module provided with the FreeBSD kernel.

You need to install net/realtek-re-kmod.

If you have a smartphone plug it in over USB, activate USB tethering on phone, execute on FreeBSD dhclient ue0, and pkg install realtek-re-kmod

In case no smartphone is at hand, download from a machine with internet connection

. https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly/All/pkg-1.21.3.pkg
. https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly/All/realtek-re-kmod-1100.00.pkg

Transfer by USB disk on FreeBSD machine, execute:

SIGNATURE_TYPE=none pkg add pkg-1.21.3.pkg

pkg add realtek-re-kmod-1100.00.pkg

Follow instructions from the post-install message regarding /etc/loader.conf.

If the 1100.00 is unstable, try net/realtek-re-kmod198.

The if_re.ko kernel module from the realtek-re-kmod package is build for 14.0 kernel, but it should work on 14.1 as well.

Thanks T-Daemon, that worked and my network driver now works :)

I followed a video that followed the handbook for installation of: xorg / xfce / lightdm / lightdm-login-greeter, plus the amdgpu driver.

My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 9 7900, so it has integrated Radeon graphics GPU (Raphael).

After rebooting, after loading all, it remains at the black console screen ready for login, so I don't know why it doesn't go straight to the graphical screen with the lightdm-login-greeter.

I tried issuing startx but I got a message saying "no screens found"... so it appears there is either a problem with the video driver or it is still not configured properly.

Once I reboot into FreeBSD I may be able to provide more info on the X11 config files I added.

The last messages I see before the login message appears are:
Code:
No core dumps found
Mounting late filesystems
Starting dbus
Starting powerd
Configuring vt: keymap.
Starting cron
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds
Starting lightdm

Thurs Aug 15…

FreeBSD/amd64 (hostname) (ttyv0)

login:

Code:
cd /usr/local/etc/X11
ls -la
(3 directories shown):
fontpath.d
xinit
xorg.conf.d
Code:
# startx
xauth:   File /root/.serverauth.1687 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.21.1.13
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Current Operating System: FreeBSD 14.1-RELEASE….

Current version of pixman: 0.42.2
…
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
…
(EE) Please also check the log file at ”/var/log/Xorg.0.log” for additionall information
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

Post the URL it gives you. Then we can have a look at your Xorg.0.log.

Did you configure anything in /usr/local/X11/xorg.conf.d/ yet? Looks like you have:
Code:
[    20.954] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[    20.954] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module radeon
[    20.954] (EE) Failed to load module "radeon" (module does not exist, 0)
[    20.954] (EE) No drivers available.

Yes, I have added some files at /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ :

10-monitor.conf
and
20-radeon.conf

Here are the contents of each file:

10-monitor.conf
Code:
Section “Screen”
              Identifier “Screen0”
              Device “Card0”
              SubSection “Display”
              Modes “2560x1440”
              EndSubSection
EndSection

20-radeon.conf
Code:
Section “Device”
              Identifier “Card0”
              Driver “radeon”
EndSection

Please remove that file. The amdgpu driver doesn't need a Xorg configuration.

Make sure the Xorg user is in the "video" group. If logged in log out, log in again to take effect.

I believe this isn't necessary either.
OK, I deleted both of those files, and after a reboot it displays all the usual messages and then displays a blank black screen with a solid white cursor at the top left of the screen.

When you say the Xorg user, do you mean me (me logging in) or is there a specific user called ‘Xorg’?

Here is the video group:
Code:
# pw groupshow video
video:*:44:myusername,root,lightdm

…where ‘myusername’ is the user that I log in with.

From this section it appears it should perhaps be trying to open module amdgpu or radeonkms?

As it was looking for the (wrong?)‘ati’ module, I had a hunt around and found this post, so I added the same /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/amdgpu.conf and now after rebooting, we see a message reporting it can’t find the ‘amdgpu’ module.

See here: https://termbin.com/8lo9

From the log file it seems some Screen/Monitor info needs to be specified in a config file.

When you say the Xorg user, do you mean me (me logging in) or is there a specific user called ‘Xorg’?
I mean the logged in user, not a "Xorg" called user.

My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 9 7900, so it has integrated Radeon graphics GPU (Raphael).
Bad news, apparently "Raphael" fails to work with graphics/drm-61-kmod.

https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/issues/305 : Black screen and system freezing on AMD Ryzen 9 7950X #305

Workaround for Xorg from issue :
IF YOU GOT HERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM: the scfb driver + Xorg works really well. To get a high
resolution use the gop set command in the bootloader and set the resolution you want.
For gop set escape at the boot menu to loader prompt, list resolutions ( gop list), try some, make permanent in /boot/loader.conf : exec="gop set <n>".

x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb

FreeBSD handbook:
To configure the SCFB driver in a configuration file:

Example 18. Select SCFB Video Driver in a File

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-scfb.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver     "scfb"
EndSection

"Raphael" not functional with upcoming v6.6 either:

. https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/pull/283#issuecomment-2254481379

I mean the logged in user, not a "Xorg" called user.

Bad news, apparently "Raphael" fails to work with graphics/drm-61-kmod.

https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/issues/305 : Black screen and system freezing on AMD Ryzen 9 7950X #305

Workaround for Xorg from issue :

For gop set escape at the boot menu to loader prompt, list resolutions ( gop list), try some, make permanent in /boot/loader.conf : exec="gop set <n>".

x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb

FreeBSD handbook:

"Raphael" not functional with upcoming v6.6 either:

. https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/pull/283#issuecomment-2254481379

Thank you so much, I replaced ‘amdgpu’ with ‘scfb’ and now Xorg seems to load graphics mode OK, the lightdm-gtk-greeter works to login and then the XFCE4 DE loads up! :)

Now I just need to increase the screen resolution with GOP…next job.

Also it looks like a fix to include amdgpu Raphael firmware files is in progress. Once that fix makes its way to the package tree I can revert back to amdgpu driver If I want to.

To increase the resolution I did the following, in case anyone else needs it:

Added two lines to /boot/loader.conf :
Code:
efi_max_resolution=“1440p”
kern.vt.fb.default_mode=“2560x1440”

Probably both could be set to “1440p” but I didn’t try that yet.

For now the refresh rate is 60Hz but I will set it to 120Hz once I discover how to.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this. :)

Back