Other DMA activity check up

The real question: Is it worth it to spend good money on this project.
How many drives do you really need to image per hour or per day.
Define the scope of your project.
Supermicro makes some descent drive bays for a good price too.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405
Maybe you could just use two or three bays and keep the rest unused in case some wear out.
Then you have spare trays because the latches and handles on the front are plastic.
If your careful with your insertions they should last fine.

What disk size will be you imaging? 3.5" or 2.5" or maybe you need both?

8/10 per day would be a good number.
I've seen the Supermicro link but it seems they are unavailable.
My idea is to assemble a storage rack with mobile docks like these. As you can see, following your tips, I've found metalic docks with no plastic parts and a good lifespan. More they support 3.5" and 2.5". Obviously, it always is better a careful insertions to avoid break problems.
Obviously it is necesary a high power supply like that of Supermicro.

Please, let me open my FreeBSD workstation .. so I can be precise about the CPU and the BIOS.

See you later.

Thanks very much !!!! :)

Are those discs part of a system before and after imaging? It would then be faster and safer not to remove the discs but boot that machine from a USB stick and get the image over network.

Are those discs part of a system before and after imaging? It would then be faster and safer not to remove the discs but boot that machine from a USB stick and get the image over network.
Hei Cri !
just moment please.
One step a time.
What you're saying is correct, but the FreeBSD on the stick should be modified.
Please, let me give a reply to Phishfry that kindly assist me about the NVMe installation.... I'll reply later about what you say.

Thanks very much.

On the first generation motherboards with PCIe 3.0 slots, the Ivy Creek I could not boot off the NVMe due to BIOS.
Boards after Ivy Creek should support booting off the NVMe. So what is your CPU?
Hello Physhfry,
has not been simple extract the cpu heatsink, so I've tryed to retrieve CPU informations via software:

Code:
dmesg -a | grep -i cpu
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz (3491.99-MHz K8-class CPU)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu2: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu3: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
est2: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu2
est3: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu3

grep Features /var/run/dmesg.boot
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x7fdafbbf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x21<LAHF,ABM>
  Structured Extended Features=0x27ab<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,NFPUSG>
  XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT>

The CPU datasheet should be this. Here its datasheet (vol1). I hope it supports NVMe (sincerely I don't know about Ivy Creek ... the Intel i3 should support Ivy Bridge .... My apologize for possible mistakes).

The UEFI is the ASUS BM6AF (a screenshot is attached). Does it need of particular settings to support the Toshiba XG3 ?
The version installed is the 1205 (2014/09/29); the last version is the 1602 (2016/07/11).
Sincerely, the OCZ RD400 PCIe x4 is Gen3 and my UEFI supports the Gen 3 option among the PCI configuration settings.

However, I trust in your kindly supervision.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20180515_193432.jpg
    IMG_20180515_193432.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Back