Display for RPi 400, thoughts and recommendations

Thanks to a recent video by RoboNuggie my Raspberry Pi 400 now runs at a higher CPU clock speed and is therefore much more usable. Now I can actually start using it for reading web pages, watching online videos and generally tinker with FreeBSD.

Which brings me to my question. I'd like to use my RPi 400 more like a laptop, although I do of course realise it's not a laptop. But if only I had a sensible display for it, then perhaps I would be able to sit on the sofa with the RPi and the display on my lap while hacking away and learning more about FreeBSD?

So, I'm looking for recommendations and thoughts on RPi-compatible displays that I could balance on my lap with the RPi so I can pretend I'm using a laptop.

fyi,

Has anyone tried the MIPI-DSI connectors on Pi for display? Some at the Pi hut are DSI.

I would like to do a super wide screen for aux output..
The ePaper/eInk screens are pretty cool too.

Looks like its HDMI only on the RPi 400. No MIPI Camera or Display.

They are very neat. Reminiscent of earlier Mac.

I have seen a GPIO expander for the Rpi 400's 40 pin connector on back.

So, I'm looking for recommendations and thoughts on RPi-compatible displays that I could balance on my lap with the RPi so I can pretend I'm using a laptop.
Pretty much any HDMI display would work. The 15.6" display I bought 3 years ago is now more expensive ($180) but cheaper options exist.

Note that even a regular pi4 can be overclocked at about 2Ghz. Make sure it has a very good heat sink.

Back