Display artifacts on Thinkpad T420

Hi,

I am getting random glitches/artifacts on my screen, like this:

glitch.png

It seems to happen when the system is busier (though CPU temp is not much elevated) but is overall random. Often, I have to restart X to make them go away. It doesn't happen in Linux, so I think it is a FreeBSD issue.

This is a Thinkpad T420 with stock Intel HD 3000 graphics and an upgraded display and VGA cable. I am running 13.0-release with drm-kmod-g20190710_1 and xf86-video-intel-2.99.917.916_1,1 installed. /boot/modules/i915kms.ko is being loaded automatically, and I do not load anything relevant from rc.conf. In xorg.conf, I have this:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        Driver          "intel"
        Option          "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

However, I can also comment this out. Performance suffers, and the glitches are less frequent, but they still show up.

For reference:

Xorg.0.log, with the above lines commented out
dmesg
rc.conf
loader.conf

I would really appreciate any help.

Hi. When you switch between multiple operating systems, such as from Windows to Linux, then from Linux to BSD, and so on, or remove and reattach the battery, it's sometimes a good idea to perform an EC reset. I'm not sure how it's done on a ThinkPad, but on my HP laptop, I remove the battery and unplug the power cord, then hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. It's similar to a hard reset. It isn't always effective, but sometimes things build up in the EC and mess with the hardware, causing weird artifacts on the screen.

Back