Solved Disks Quota does not work

Thanks, it works!

The edqouta command works fine with the vi editor.
You put me on view with the meaning of SIGINT 130.

I did :
I came back for bash.
I deleted 2bsd-vi, updated the ports tree and installed 2bsd-vi from source.
2bsd-vi-050325_2 The original vi editor, updated to run on modern OSes

edquota -u delbadog
I tested by exiting the vi editor mode with the "ESC" key and without problem.

echo $?
No more EdP.a * files in /tmp directory.

I was using the "CTRL-C" key combination to exit editor mode which caused the edquota command to interrupt.
The error came from me !

Thank you all for the quality of your answers.

Yes for years under Linux, Netbsd, Opensb and Freebsd I used each time "CTRL-C" in vi to exit editor mode but I did not manage quotas.
olli@ put me on the track then I went to review the manual for the vi command and I got it.

for years under Linux, Netbsd, Opensb and Freebsd I used each time "CTRL-C" in vi to exit editor mode

How did you manage to exit the vi(1) / edquota (8) editor mode with CTRL-C? I'm unaware of such a key combination for vi or clones, also I couldn't find any documentation for that key combination by web search.

Experimenting on FreeBSD with base vi(1) / edquota (8) I get "Interrupted" message, with editors/2bsd-vi I get no reaction, with editors/neovim I get ":qa! to abandon all changes and exit Nvim".

On linux I get "type :quit to exit vim".

I was using the "CTRL-C" key combination to exit editor mode which caused the edquota command to interrupt.
The error came from me !

Did we really try to track that problem down for several days ― And you were using Ctrl-C to exit from the editor all the time?!?
Words fail me …

Yes, I also have a trap message with "CTRL-C"
I thought this message was normal since I was leaving edit mode.

uname -v
FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r360207 GENERIC

So I retested like this.
vi test
bla bla
CTRL-C
Interrupted
:wq
echo $?
No 130 when I used CTRL-C to exit "edit mode"

rm test
vi test
bla bla
ESC
echo $?

Thank you, I understood my mistake, ends CTRL-C to exit "edit mode" !
Words fail me too …

Yes, I also have a trap message with "CTRL-C"
I thought this message was normal since I was leaving edit mode.

uname -v
FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r360207 GENERIC

So I retested like this.
vi test
bla bla
CTRL-C
Interrupted
echo $?
No 130 when I used CTRL-C to exit "edit mode"

rm test
vi test
bla bla
ESC
echo $?

Thank you, I understood my mistake, ends CTRL-C to exit "edit mode" !
Words fail me too …
The SIGINT signal is usually delivered to the whole process group, not just the process that is currently in the “foreground” (unless the processes change their signal disposition, of course). That means, when you press Ctrl-C, that SIGINT signal is not only delivered to the vi process, but also to the edquota process that started vi.

PS: I think you should mark this thread as “solved”.

Yes, I understood why the quotas did not work because as you say the signal sent by CTRL-C executed in vi prematurely stopped the good progress of the edquota command.
I admit my mistake and I apologize for wasting your time because of a very bad habit on my part.
I must admit that your help has been invaluable and thank you very much for the quality of your responses.
Thank you.

PS: I do not have the option of putting "solved".

Back