ZFS Disk failed, zfs do not boot, how to recover?

One disk failed (L2ARC SSD, so should work without). That disk is removed from computer and system do not boot now.

I think I need to chroot to zpool and fix it, but how to do it? Zpool is encrypted.

w9n0EgHl0p6Q.jpg

What happens if you try to use lsdev in the bootloader? Does it recognize any disks at all?

You might want to try and use a rescue cd. Then load your GELI keys manually so that you can fix things.

BIOS found disks and I got "Calculation GELI Decrytion key" from disk 0 to 3 after giving GELI passphrase so it should recognize them all.

There's 5 disks inside but fifth disk never show when booting up. It gave only "failed to read pad2 area from primary vdev".

I can't get to boot menu. Booting fails after GELI password, before boot menu.
That's not what that screenshot shows, I see a clear boot prompt. Try entering help it should list a few commands. And then, finally, try entering what I mentioned above and share the output.

(edit)

Or, as I also hinted at above, try booting using a rescue cd (I usually rely on the disc1 ISO myself) and then check what that shows. You'll probably need to unlock the disk manually through GELI but after that you should have more access. Seems like your only reliable option here.

Are you sure you removed the correct disk? Is it possible to put it back in?

Are you sure you removed the correct disk? Is it possible to put it back in?
Yeah, I took "right" disk out, but I think another disk is failed now. There's been lot of S.M.A.R.T fails. Those disk fails often when you power off them. There was odd sound from disk when I started computer but it's gone now. I was thinking that there was some redundancy, but I was wrong. One disk fail was enough to break whole pool.

I haven't lost anything important, so I can reinstall new server with better redundancy.

Those disk fails often when you power off them.
Definitely. Especially if it has been running non-stop for long periods of time.
There was odd sound from disk when I started computer but it's gone now. I was thinking that there was some redundancy, but I was wrong. One disk fail was enough to break whole pool.
Ouch. Yes, if that's the case it probably was a basic striped set (which has no redundancy). One disk failing would indeed fail the whole pool.

Back