Other Disappearing USB disc

I have an USB3 portable disc (Seagate BUP portable 3TB), which has an UFS partition on it. I've mounted it and left for a while. But yesterday I've discovered that it showed empty contents via ls /mnt/disc. Still listed in mounted and without any messages in dmesg. usbconfig list showed that the device is powered (and with usual amount of аmps). I had to unmount it and mount again, then its contents showed up again (but with complains of unclean unmounting in messages).
What could be the reason of the situation, how to diagnose it better, and how to not allow it happen in the future?

Something going into sleeping mode because of inactivity ?
Probable idea, I've thought of which. More than that, .snap directory happen to appear.
The computer was not sleeping, may be just this USB disc. (Without diminishing the current on this USB port.)
And how could I wake it up if it was the case (and how to tell if it was/ is?)

I think it’s not just about FreeBSD but depends on the drive, the enclosure etc etc

Still not finding more recent examples but found this one:

I think it’s not just about FreeBSD but depends on the drive, the enclosure etc etc

Still not finding more recent examples but found this one:

The thread you've proposed doesn't have an answer, has it? And mentioning mostly ZFS.
Where's disc sleep control timer in FreeBSD?

I’m saying this comes up periodically and I do not think it is necessarily just a FreeBSD setting but you might find something in the forums in previous answers.

No, I do not have the answer.

The thread I linked to suggests a cron job to keep the disk awake so maybe that will stop the drive going to sleep.

Back