Disabling Login

I have been trying to figure out how to do this is Freebsd and haven't been able to find the answer. I have an email server that allows for ssh connection. I want to disable users from being able to connect through ssh. But I also don't want them to be able to log in if they were standing at the computers. I know that in CENTOS all I have to do is change the X to * in the /etc/passwd file. Is there a way to do this in Freebsd??

Yeah but by using pw lock the user cannot connect to the box for email. I want them to be allowed to connect for imap or pop3 but I do not want them to access to ssh or be able to login if they were at the machine.

i think
pw usermod +s nologin

or there was something like
touch /etc/nologin (or was it touch /var/run/nologin, probably this one)
to diable login for all users at once

SomeoneHere said:
I have been trying to figure out how to do this is Freebsd and haven't been able to find the answer. I have an email server that allows for ssh connection. I want to disable users from being able to connect through ssh. But I also don't want them to be able to log in if they were standing at the computers. I know that in CENTOS all I have to do is change the X to * in the /etc/passwd file. Is there a way to do this in Freebsd??

vipw works (virtually) the same on FreeBSD as it does on Linux. :) You can manually change the password field to *, same as on Linux.

Another option for complex login control is PAM. For e.g. disallow SSH but allow FTP, SMTP and IMAP. This is ideal for large number of users.

You only want to deny login for some users via ssh?
See DenyUsers option in sshd_config(5)

Back