Disable driver

spotlightman

I have a raid card that uses the hptrr driver ( i put it in the loader.conf) it works, but amr0 hangs the system when booting once i put the drives in an array. amr0 only loads because it sees the megaraid chip on the raid card.

How can i disable the amr0 driver from autoloading at boot, or tell it not to load?

FreeBSD 8 i386
high point rocket raid 174x

thanks.
Jason

sk8harddiefast

Daemon

on /boot/loader.conf add this line:
Code:
if_amr0_load="NO"
If i am not wrong this must make the job

crsd

sk8harddiefast said:
on /boot/loader.conf add this line:
Code:
if_amr0_load="NO"
If i am not wrong this must make the job
That will not help, you should just comment out the amr_load="YES" line in /boot/loader.conf *IF* it's how amr(4) was loaded.

OP should probably rebuild the kernel excluding 'device amr' from its config.

OP
OP
S

spotlightman

Tried many different syntax in the loader.conf to prevent it from loading, none worked. Thanks for the suggestion though.

amr is detected automatically (not loaded by loader) so i guess i have to install a custom kernel.

crsd

You could try adding the following:
Code:
hint.amr.0.disabled="1"
to /boot/device.hints, not sure if it'll help though...

sk8harddiefast

Daemon

it was just and idea.Because you said
How can i disable the amr0 driver from autoloading at boot, or tell it not to load?
i thought that for load a driver you say "Yes" and if you say "N0" will not load it.It was just a thought.

phoenix

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

crsd said:
You could try adding the following:
Code:
hint.amr.0.disabled="1"
to /boot/device.hints, not sure if it'll help though...
You should put device hints into /boot/loader.conf, to keep things all together. Treat /boot/device.hints as the defaults file for device hints, and loader.conf as the overrides. device.hints gets upgraded/replaced as part of the buildworld/mergemaster cycle, whereas loader.conf does not, so you don't have to worry about your custom settings disappearing on an upgrade.