Digital TV - kaffeine does not work, but vlc and mplayer do work

I have a digital TV setup on FreeBSD 11.1 using the multimedia/cx88 driver. It works fine - I can create a scanfile with multimedia/w_scan, and then watch TV with vlc or mplayer. However, I would like to use kaffeine, which does not allow me to scan. Since no device shows up in kaffeine, I guess it can't find /dev/dvb/adaptor0. How do I tell kaffeine where the device files are? There is no place to specify device files in kaffeine. I'm not sure if kaffeine uses hal, but anyway cx88 was compiled with option HAL set, and hal and dbus are working.

Thanks, yes the /dev/dvb structure does exist:

$ ls -lR /dev/dvb/
total 1
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Dec 8 20:01 adapter0

/dev/dvb/adapter0:
total 0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root operator 0x88 Dec 8 20:01 demux0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root operator 0x89 Dec 8 20:01 dvr0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root operator 0xad Dec 8 20:01 frontend0

and cx88 is working fine - I can watch TV on vlc & mplayer, and w_scan works fine. I don't think I need to worry about webcamd as none of this is USB. It's just that kaffeine doesn't seem able to pick up the /dev/dvb structure above.

Yes I did work through that guide, I am guessing what's happening is that a USB TV stick would be handled by webcamd, which would notify hal, which would then be picked up by kaffeine. However, for my setup, I would expect the cx88 driver to notify hal, and there seems to be something missing in the cx88 -> hal -> kaffeine connection.

Back