Differences between Linux and BSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kdemidofff said:
Sometimes there rumors about difference between Russian and Indian programmers..
If u compare high school in russia with indie and how many notable russian scientist around there u can see difference.. The way education done is a day and night. The indians also like writing theirs resumes much more than writing good and understandable programs... That's the point to be in higher social class rather to do work right. The point of linux is provide free for free much more than stability and usability.

The linux community IMHO much like to release new GPL code and omg features (like indians like their fake resumes) rather perform performance and reliability checks on their code (see postgress performance case).

BSD is a business class by design, linux is economy en masse much more like fragmented breadboard for everything and every device rather than a complete product or solution.

The question is did u like quality and real performance and usability or flaky code.

Yes u can use both systems but linux don't stop sux if someone pay you for working on it.

Its no way flame war it's just differentiation in products.. linux - indie OS make like all indie programs done
Whoa, what the hell man? That's kinda racist and I am partly indian.

As far as BSD goes, my old laptop broke and I won't have one for a year or so.
I am going to still try BSD with KDE installed on it, seeing as how I think KDE would be better for making KDM themes, and such.

hydra said:
@kdemidofff
I'm running several Linux boxes in production and haven't noticed any problems with performance or stability - they simply work. While I do prefer FreeBSD on my workstation(s), I wouldn't generally state that "Linux sux".

Your experiences with Linux are so bad that they crash, malfunction, perform bad all the time ? Which distributions if I might ask ?

see the linux kernel code quality on web

CastilleV said:
Whoa, what the hell man? That's kinda racist and I am partly indian.

As far as BSD goes, my old laptop broke and I won't have one for a year or so.
I am going to still try BSD with KDE installed on it, seeing as how I think KDE would be better for making KDM themes, and such.

nah saying that indians like their resumes more than actual work racist?
citing low quality education system racist??

i got source from a born indian man

This is what happens when you blindly outsource to India (keyword: blindly)

nothing against indians.. but the way they (commonly) work, may or may not apply to you..
i like some indian philosophical concepts culture etc.. but it has nothing to do with business and quality of code
sanskrit is a great language etc but business is a business

kdemidofff said:
BSD is a business class by design, linux is economy en masse much more like fragmented breadboard for everything and every device rather than a complete product or solution.
You haven't used FreeBSD long enough. It lacks a few fundamental features on desktop and not, e.g. midi emulation, kernel mode setting, framebuffer drivers except for vesafb, kvm (qemu). X11 drivers are barely kept stable and not really up to date. At least nvidia blobs work reliably.

And Linux is not that fragmented. There is somewhat central (Linus) repo that everyone tries to push to.

I may sound like a devil's advocate but I don't think saying some vague BS about how Linux is bad is going to help any BSD. FreeBSD equally sucks in certain areas even compared to other BSDs. The real fun is in discussing where exactly each system sucks. Someone may feel incentive to fix a flaw or two after reading that.

Is this thread still about Linux and BSD, or have we moved on to even more boring subject matter?

fairy said:
I may sound like a devil's advocate but I don't think saying some vague BS about how Linux is bad is going to help any BSD. FreeBSD equally sucks in certain areas even compared to other BSDs. The real fun is in discussing where exactly each system sucks. Someone may feel incentive to fix a flaw or two after reading that.
You must've missed out on your history lessons. One of the reasons why Linux has so many more installs than FreeBSD is that back in the 90s during the lawsuit era, the Linux community was spreading FUD around about how the lawsuit was going to shut the whole project down

I say FUD mainly because they didn't really bother to do any meaningful research and instead used it to try and squash the competition.

But in practice you're correct, it's really not a particularly constructive approach to things. Given how watered down Linux has become in recent years, I shudder to think what it would've done to the various BSDs to target the barely computer literate.

dwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy View Post
You must've missed out on your history lessons. One of the reasons why Linux has so many more installs than FreeBSD is that back in the 90s during the lawsuit era, the Linux community was spreading FUD around about how the lawsuit was going to shut the whole project down

I say FUD mainly because they didn't really bother to do any meaningful research and instead used it to try and squash the competition.

But in practice you're correct, it's really not a particularly constructive approach to things. Given how watered down Linux has become in recent years, I shudder to think what it would've done to the various BSDs to target the barely computer literate.

One of the reasons I got off Linux was seeing how it was becoming the new fad(I hate fads) and if there's one thing I have learned in my short life is that when the masses get their hands on something it usually ends up being ruined in the end. If *BSD stays a minority then that's just fine with me:)

fairy said:
You haven't used FreeBSD long enough.
FreeBSD equally sucks in certain areas even compared to other BSDs. .. to fix a flaw or two after reading that.

Screw x11 its bad idea for desktop solution.. like cheap photocamera xD

GUIs is not needed on FreeBSD and its not critical for its operation or performance. Well i use BSD for server stuff.. long long time ago.. I still have 3.x disks on shelf.

UNIX GUIs recently showed very poor compared with usability of Windows stuff. Yes Windows non free has bugs etc. But then don't use it on unprotected internet or use firewall.
Also DirectX and OpenGL game market.. U wont see any major game first-time release on linux or other unix.

x11 is just separate port that don't belongs to base system, u can live without it. Use windows or MAC OS for desktop :)

Today almost all open-source software available multi-plaform binary that will run on MAC/Windows/Linux/etc too.
So u get free beer and paid snacks. Windows also good for media industry, design, games etc.

For a server is a BSD system super. For desktop it doesn't matter only usability and software availability is concern. U prooly won't need desktop running 2 years each day 24x365.

From first times i used FreeBSD i see stable solid concrete system, easy configuration, easy maintenance, runs forever, nice performance, easy update. When poor electricians shut off electricity like periodic script it just recovers. Install & forget = profit.

But you can use it for a desktop it just takes some work to set up. But once it is set up it runs very well(posting from my laptop running FreeBSD 8). Who knows maybe OpenCDE will be the ultimate lightweight desktop:)

hedwards said:

I know I could probably find this myself via a Google search, but some citation to these claims would be really interesting to anyone who happens to read an archive of this thread. :p

kdemidofff said:
x11 is just separate port that don't belongs to base system, u can live without it. Use windows or MAC OS for desktop :)

First of all, x11 is currently mostly the Linux thingy, with all HALd dependencies, GEM/TTM in Linux kernel, KMS in the Linux kernel and so, its definitely not so 'cross-platform' at all.

As for Windows/Mac OSX GUI, have You ever used it? Especially the Mac OSX?

I have run Windows for very ling time, the only reasonable version is Windows XP Pro which sucks less as it comes to stability/features/speed/reliability, the newer ones like Vista/Seven/7 are just piece of junk, not stable as all, alpha/beta quality, breaking very frequently.

The Mac OSX, I use it at work every day, and its very keyboard unfriendly, I would like to select the buttons with arrows, even with very few buttons and select them with ENTER/RETURN key, not a fscking chance, You gotta use the fscking 'allmighty' mouse ...

For these reasons I definitely would choose x11/openbox/nautilus/opera/conky/urxvt/gimp/inkscape/audacity/... to run the GUI, but I am an admin, what can I know ...

kdemidofff said:
While ports may seem like second class citizens FreeBSD system is practically useless without them except for some basic stuff like routing or mail/dns server. And both NetBSD and OpenBSD have X11 in base.

As for Windows/etc, I can't trust my ssh-keys or bank account details to a system that *may* send them to vendor or a third-party without my consent. Such uncertainty is escalated by the number of installed proprietary programs.

DutchDaemon said:
Is this thread still about Linux and BSD, or have we moved on to even more boring subject matter?

DD: It's hardly a thread anymore, it's already going in many different directions, given the smokey smell on some of those branches flame wars may not be too far off.

I know it's in the off-topic forum but should have been capped when those referenced articles (that answer the original question) were posted - otherwise even on it's own it's a topic with no possible conclusion.

Well, I'm bored by it anyway. Closed. Please discuss topics in the right subforums instead of tacking them on willy-nilly, people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back