development communication place for ports work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenorb

Is there any development communication place where I can see that other person are interested as well porting specified port? Some votes, track tickets, anything that make it easier?
Regarding this, how do I know that somebody already started to port some software?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Yes, the freebsd-ports@ mailinglist.

OP
OP
kenorb

kenorb

Is this group is available from groups.google.com or in simple way from web browser?
Otherwise I'll not have time for subscribing and reading my e-mails everyday.

Nukama

If you want to know, if someone has started to port some software, you should search the freebsd-ports@mailinglist and the internet.

freebsd-ports@ is the official place for porting, but porting efforts are scattered across several places.
Some porters run their preferred source-code-management system, some info is found in the FreeBSD-Wiki.
There are some port-branches accessible through ports-mgmt/portshaker (namely enlightenment, texlive, bsd-sharp, marcuscom_ports).

But I see no official ports-devel nor a ports-sandbox.

There is also an unofficial channel in EFnet called #bsdports.

eye

There is Wanted Ports page. Not many care, though. A ticket system to address this would be good. However, we're stuck with decrepit GNATS which sucks from a user/contributor POV (no edit, no subscribe, no/poor mime, no unicode, no VCS integration, etc) and many scripts (AA, post-commit, etc) around it.

OP
OP
kenorb

kenorb

No web version (with functionality to post) of that Mailing Lists? Why?

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

kenorb said:
No web version (with functionality to post) of that Mailing Lists? Why?
Because they're mailinglists not forums?

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

This topic has been closed. Issues as technical or detailed as this should not be discussed in general user-oriented forums like The FreeBSD Forums. These forums are intended for end-user support with installing and/or running FreeBSD and/or applications from the ports tree, not for routinely resolving low-level problems with the operating system or add-on applications. Developers and port maintainers usually do not spend much time here, and we routinely refer technically detailed questions to them.

Consider opening this topic elsewhere, e.g.:

In the case of the FreeBSD base system:

1) by posting to one of the relevant mailing lists
2) by opening a bug report

In the case of ported applications:

1) by contacting the port maintainer (run make maintainer in the port directory)
2) by opening a bug report

Status
Not open for further replies.