Determining the version of FreeBSD

I have a network appliance whose OS and shell is based on FreeBSD. I am unable to determine which version of FreeBSD it is. The uname -a command only returns the name and version of the appliance. The FreeBSD copyright strings I have found do not indicate the version. I do not have the source code for the appliance.

Is there a way to discover the major/minor release of FreeBSD by looking at the file system? Unique changes in the size and presence of files and directory structure as FreeBSD has evolved should give definite clues to the identity of each release. Has anyone compiled this type of information?

Tricky. I do believe if you change the name it also changes those sysctl's.

Looking at binaries probably isn't helpful either. Different compiler options will result in different binaries making a straight comparison rather difficult.

I thought looking at the version of libc would be a good way but 9.0 and 8.x have the same version. So that's not good either.

jdmurray said:
Is there a way to discover the major/minor release of FreeBSD by looking at the file system? Unique changes in the size and presence of files and directory structure as FreeBSD has evolved should give definite clues to the identity of each release. Has anyone compiled this type of information?
If you have access to the include files and they haven't had all useful information stripped out, you may find something like this, from /usr/include/sys/syscall.h:

Code:
/*
 * System call numbers.
 * DO NOT EDIT-- this file is automatically generated.
 * $FreeBSD: src/sys/sys/syscall.h,v 1.233.2.6 2012/01/06 19:33:27 jhb Exp $
 * created from FreeBSD: stable/8/sys/kern/syscalls.master 229725 2012-01-06 19:32:39Z jhb 
 */

If that isn't useful, try doing a [cmd=""]ident /boot/kernel/kernel[/cmd] which will give you the version header info for everything compiled into the kernel, including datestamps. It should also show you the FreeBSD CVS version number and committer name - the first will help you compare version numbers to the FreeBSD CVS repository. As long as the appliance vendor hasn't wholesale-renumbered the versions, this info should be useful.

To give you an example, my kernel starts off like this:
Code:
(141:118) node:/tmp# ident /boot/kernel/kernel | more
/boot/kernel/kernel:
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam.c,v 1.13.2.5 2010/08/05 10:45:27 bcr Exp $
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam_periph.c,v 1.80.2.14 2012/01/31 23:09:27 ken Exp $
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam_queue.c,v 1.9.22.3 2009/12/02 10:10:37 mav Exp $
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam_sim.c,v 1.13.2.2 2010/02/14 19:38:27 mav Exp $
     $FreeBSD: src/sys/cam/cam_xpt.c,v 1.217.2.37 2012/01/31 23:09:27 ken Exp $

SirDice said:
Tricky. I do believe if you change the name it also changes those sysctl's.
This is true. The [cmd=]sysctl -n kern.osrelease kern.ostype[/cmd] command suggested by pelmen only displays the appliance's version and OS name.

Terry_Kennedy said:
If you have access to the include files and they haven't had all useful information stripped out, you may find something like this, from /usr/include/sys/syscall.h:
Nope, no /usr/include or /include on this device.

Terry_Kennedy said:
If that isn't useful, try doing a
ident /boot/kernel/kernel
Nope, no 'ident' command on this box.

This is a tough one.

jdmurray , I think what you're looking for is either, or both of freebsd-version(1), and uname(1)-U.
freebsd-version(1) returns the equivalent of uname -r eg; 12.0-CURRENT (osrelease), whereas uname -U returns the equivalent of uname -K eg; 1200054 (osreldate). These values are returned from the jail(8), or "guest"; as opposed to from the host. If the (jail/guest) $base, and kernel were both cut from the same source revision. It's a safe bet the results returned are correct.

HTH!

EDIT
Just to appease the gods that be;
Yes. I know this post is ancient. But hey; I was looking for an answer to this very same question, and DuckDuck brought me here. Turns out this question had no answer. But a little experimentation, and man(1) page reading enlightened me. So I thought I'd be gracious enough to "share the knowledge". Please don't beat me with a stick, for trying to help. :rolleyes:

--Chris

Last edited:
Chris_H, this thread is almost 6 years old. The original poster hasn't been seen since then.

Yes indeed. But I felt it was still worth replying. Because should anyone else have the same question. A simple search of the Forums will provide an answer, rather than make yet another (same) question. :)

--Chris

For what it's worth, if I answer a very old thread, I give the reason, e.g, Google brought me here and even though it's 5 years old, the problem persists, and so on. Of course, on Arch, they'll close it anyway, but they are an extremely busy forum and while I often disagree with them closing, I've sometimes email the mod who did it and said, Hey, google brought me here, the problem persists, it might be worth adding a note to the closing post, and they will sometimes add such a note.
But it is always good to mention that a) you've noticed a post is very old, and b) why you are posting to it, best reason, IMHO, because searching your question brought you to the thread. Of course, and I'm sure it's happened to many people, sometimes one finds a solution, gets excited about it, and doesn't realize they're posting to a several year old post too. :)

OK I edited my reply, above. Technically speaking I didn't have the same question. But was interested in my jail(8) environment, and wanting to make it reflect the actual osrelease, and osreldate;
11.1-STABLE, and 1101506, respectively. The answer to my needs, also answered the question here -- bonus. :)
Oh, and speaking of; for bonus points, here's how I managed to adjust my jail(8) environment to reflect it's actual release:
Code:
# uname -r, freebsd-version
osrelease = 11.1-STABLE;
# /usr/obj/usr/src/include/osreldate -- uname -K, uname -U
osreldate = 1101506;
Commented for better understanding, for inquiring minds, that need to know. Entered in the jail.conf(5) that reflects the jail(8) I was working in.

Are we good now? :D

--Chris

If you are using FreeBSD 13 or higher, you can get from os-release().

# cat /etc/os-release
NAME=FreeBSD
VERSION=13.0-STABLE
VERSION_ID=13.0
ID=freebsd
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
PRETTY_NAME="FreeBSD 13.0-STABLE"
CPE_NAME=cpe:/o:freebsd:freebsd:13.0
HOME_URL=https://FreeBSD.org/
BUG_REPORT_URL=https://bugs.FreeBSD.org/

Back