[DesktopBSD] MacBook does not fully shutdown

Machine: MacBook Intel Core Duo (not the Core 2 Duo, which came later)
Specs: 2.0GHz/250GB/4GB.

I just installed the newest version of DesktopBSD (v1.7), which runs FreeBSD 7.2 as the core. The OS works great, and I am impressed with what I see so far. However, when I go to shutdown (using KDE's system menu), the computer does not turn off.

Oddly enough, the chain of events seems to correctly shutdown the computer. The log proceeds all the way until the point where it shows the system uptime. Then, the text is cleared. However, the backlight stays on, and the hard drive does not spin down. I have to manually power down by holding in the power button.

Is this an issue with FreeBSD 7.2? I have seen some info concerning FreeBSD 7.3 incorporating a new/better backlight module for Macbooks. Could this be my issue? If so, I would need to know how to A) upgrade my FreeBSD to 7.3 (while keeping DesktopBSD intact) or B) how to install this module on my system.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

If you fire up a terminal from within KDE, and then use:
# shutdown -p now

.. does that fully power it off?

Replies

anomie said:
If you fire up a terminal from within KDE, and then use:
# shutdown -p now

.. does that fully power it off?

No, this results in the exact same problem. The last few items on the screen are:

Syncing disks [followed by a count down]
All buffers synced
Uptime: x min x sec

Then the screen goes blank, yet the backlight stays on and the HD does not spin down. I let it sit for 10 minutes and it did nothing at this point.

DutchDaemon said:

Thank you. I posted my question on the DesktopBSD forum along with this fourm earlier today.

Back