ZFS Desktop with 6GB DDR3 RAM and i3-2120 - Will ZFS works well with this spec in dual boot UEFI

Hi,
I am going to install FreeBSD 11.2 into my desktop which is more than 6 years old. While I was selecting the filesystem, ZFS is recommended - but not sure if 6 gigs of non-ecc RAM enough. I have no issues to use UFS2, but in case of a power outage, I'm not sure if UFS is really a good choice for recovery. Will UFS recover with a manual fsck and is it enough for such a low end system.

The hard drive has a Windows 10 and Devuan Linux Ascii installations in UEFI mode. So, EFI partition is pre-existing.

Last edited:
UFS will work but it has a nasty habit of getting its filesystem metadata into a mess when you have a crash or a sudden power loss. You won't lose any real data but you might need a boot in single user mode followed by a fsck -y. That's the main reason for me to abandon UFS.

But, for a typical desktop installation UFS2 will be fair enough, I guess.
There's something to say for either filesystem.

ZFS can make storage administration extremely easy because every filesystem shares the same storage space, which means that you won't easily run into the classic problem of having excess free space on / while /var is steadily filling up. Another very useful feat are the snapshots which easily allow you to make backups. The main thing is that you'll get the most out of ZFS if you use two or more harddisks. Also: recovery options are somewhat limited. If the boot sector of the main "pool partition" somehow gets damaged then you won't be able to use a backup super block to restore everything again, it could easily render the entire pool invalid, resulting in losing access to any of your data.

UFS on the other hand is a pretty robust and somewhat more classic filesystem. Setting it up wil definitely require a basic understanding of how much space each filesystems will use, but it's definitely a good idea to keep your filesystems separated so that (for example) a filling up /usr/local or /home doesn't suddenly interfere with /var which could effectively result in the system not being able to write logfiles or temporary data, which is a bad thing to happen of course. Another important feat is that you can easily mount a filesystem read-only while still being able to perform maintenance on it, you can't do the same with a ZFS pool.

And of course the issue that UFS requires less resources (memory) which can also be a pro. After all: memory which is used for your filesystem can't be easily used for other running services.

That's roughly my take on it. One isn't really better than the other, but they're both valid choices depending on the situation.

(Edit)

About UFS and messed up meta data during power loss... Well, setting up a journal helps with that. Not so much the soft journaling updates, but the kernel based journaling service, see gjournal(8).

It might sound irrelevant but for my NAS which is running FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE and boots from a USB thumb drive, my choice was to install ZFS on root because I have frequent power outages. I am not using ECC memory either and the box is an old Intel CoreDuo with 8GB of RAM.
It used to be my desktop for many years, running ZFS always.

I was reading ZFS Tuning Guide and it says about restricting RAM reservation using:
Code:
vfs.zfs.arc_max="2048M"

With a 1 TB hard drive already containing Devuan Linux installed on UEFI mode, do I need to manually install FreeBSD (not using bsdinstaller).

The hard drive has a Windows 10 and Devuan Linux Ascii installations in UEFI mode. So, EFI partition is pre-existing.

Can we manually partition ZFS for root in bsdinstall and continue with the installer ? What I understood is it needs freebsd-boot (512K), freebsd-swap (2GB), freebsd-zfs (40GB). The "vfs.zfs.arc_max="2048M" " may be set after the installation. Also, instead of rEFInd, can grub auto-detect FreeBSD now.

Guided ZFS seems to need a whole drive to work. I follow the handbook and the solution is to either manually partition or use shell to create partitions and continue with the installer. However, this guide is focusing on complete manual installation of FreeBSD. Why? Will not the installer work with ZFS root and in dual boot setup? http://kev009.com/wp/2016/07/freebsd-uefi-root-on-zfs-and-windows-dual-boot/

What I understood is it needs freebsd-boot (512K), freebsd-swap (2GB), freebsd-zfs (40GB)
The freebsd-boot partition is only needed when CSM (traditional BIOS) booting a GPT disk. For UEFI booting an efi partition is used (which you probably already have).

Back