Solved Desktop Launch Malfunction

Several months ago, I set up a hard drive with FreeBSD for the purpose of experimenting with the setup. I set it aside for a while and recently got back to it. I'm using Mate with Slim for the log-in.

Earlier this week, I was logged in on my personal account and the system froze. I forced the machine to shut down by pressing the power switch and then rebooted it. I can log in on that account, but the desktop won't launch properly.

The background pattern shows up, as do whatever files and directories that were there. However, the icons move back and forth and the menu bar doesn't appear. That's about as far as it seems to go.

I can open a Terminal window and look at the files and directories, as well as shutdown and restart the computer, so that part seems to be working properly. On the other hand, I can log in as root (which appears to be intact) and I can look at my account from there.

I don't know what the problem is, though I suspect that something is corrupted or otherwise damaged or missing. I've tried replacing some of the files on my account's desktop (e. g., .Xauthority) by copying their counterparts in root, but that hasn't helped so far.

I could, of course, delete my present account and add a new one with the same name, but that would be as a last-resort brute force method. (There's nothing important except for some configuration files for that account, so I wouldn't be losing anything important if I did that.) However, I'd like to salvage or, better yet, repair or replace whatever is damaged or missing in that account through root.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I could do?

Thank you.

For the menu bar try: Log in in the affected account, start MATE, open xterm or mate-terminal
through the run dialog (Alt + F2), enter

% mate-panel --reset

For the icons: What do you mean by “moving back and forth”?

For the menu bar try: Log in in the affected account, start MATE, open xterm or mate-terminal
through the run dialog (Alt + F2), enter

% mate-panel --reset

For the icons: What do you mean by “moving back and forth”?
Thanks for your reply.

No joy on using:

% mate-panel --reset

I got the following:

(mate-panel:905): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Errorrg.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._g_2dfile_2derror_2dquark.Code17: Cannot open dconf database: invalid gvdb header

I even tried:

% mate-panel --replace

and got the same result.

As for the icons moving, they move up and down a short distance on the screen at, maybe, 2 or 3 times a second. That doesn't happen when I log in as root.

^^^ this!

When Mate fails to load, first fix is to remove ~/.config/dconf/user.

It will result in losing all of your preferences, but Mate will load and run again. Failure is the result of corrupted data within that file.

googling "gvdb header" tells one to try
mv ~/.config/dconf/ ~/.config/dconf.bak

Knowing nothing about the issue,
Juha
Bingo!

I checked:

.config/dconf

and there was indeed a file that was created at the time of the malfunction.

Using:

% mate-panel --reset

got Mate to run but not quite properly. The bottom menu bar, which shows which windows are open, was, somehow, now at the top.

Doing this:

% mate-panel --replace
% mate-panel --reset

appears to have restored Mate.

Thank you for the tip.

^^^ this!

When Mate fails to load, first fix is to remove ~/.config/dconf/user.

It will result in losing all of your preferences, but Mate will load and run again. Failure is the result of corrupted data within that file.
I did what the previous message said and it seems to have fixed the problem.

I'll look for the file you mentioned and delete it.

When I first tried to fix it, I looked for files and/or directories that had revision dates and times that were close to when the malfunction occurred. I guess I didn't look far enough.

Thanks for the hint.

Back