Desktop issue

Hi - my first post :)

I am just getting into frebsd FreeBSD, used PC-BSD and didn't like all the branding. So I installed freebsd10 FreeBSD 10 but had issues with the internally installed HD GFX. So, back to 9.2 on the laptop - Lenovo t410. I followed a few guides to installing Xfce: http://www.milliondollarserver.com/inst ... eebsd-9-2/.

Issue is when I type startx it takes me to a standard X session and the Xfce desktop components open in individual windows, the same with LXDE and I can't figure out what I have done wrong. any pointers?

Cheers.

Oh BTW, id I'd rather not spend ages compiling, I come from a RedHat/Debian background and rather like the ease of apt-get etc.

slappy said:
Oh BTW, id I'd rather not spend ages compiling
I can't help you with the Xfce-specific stuff because I don't use Xfce myself, but I can assure you that compiling things yourself ("from ports", in FreeBSD parlance) isn't necessary. We have a binary package system akin to RPM, apt, yum etc. Your problem is probably one of configuration, which is (usually) not solved by compiling things from source.

slappy said:
Hi - my first post :)

I am just getting into frebsd FreeBSD, used PC-BSD and didn't like all the branding. So I installed freebsd10 FreeBSD 10 but had issues with the internally installed HD GFX. So, back to 9.2 on the laptop - Lenovo t410. I followed a few guides to installing Xfce: http://www.milliondollarserver.com/inst ... eebsd-9-2/.

Issue is when I type startx it takes me to a standard X session and the Xfce desktop components open in individual windows, the same with LXDE and I can't figure out what I have done wrong. any pointers?

Cheers.

If you will use Xfce, and launch it with startx. You need to copy the xinitrc script (located in /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/). But, please don't change this file.

Stop to use startxfce4 alone, especially if dbus is used.

Code:
cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
chmod u+x .xinitrc
ln -sf .xinitrc .xsession

You can also configure your locales in this file.

And voilà.

All I needed in .xinitrc was
Code:
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

Should that not be used any more?

Back