Desktop environments

I don’t know why these peoples are spending their money in proprietary softwares, and not spending money to donate for freebsd, I am a unix lover and trying to install the FreeBSD with de in my system, I have searched Google and everything and all are in failures, can any one please develop the de with FreeBSD and can you please promote the FreeBSD like all other linux and windows
? So that the people like me won’t spend money for other softwares, the success is that we have to make the people to use unix based is and softwares, please correct me if my thoughts are wrong 🤧🤧🤧

Although FreeBSD takes some pride in its merits powering servers, it is still a general-purpose OS and all major FOSS "desktops" are just a few package installs away. Make sure to read the handbook.

Yes, that's all I could decipher here for now 🤷‍♂️ – you posted to the GNOME section, so if you have some specific problem getting GNOME to work, please describe it.

mer, probably a nice tool if you're "in a hurry". I'd still recommend the handbook and learning how the system works instead. But this depends very much on your priorities, so, no criticism, just trying to complete the picture ;)

Reactions: mer
Understood. I've been rolling my own for a long time (3.x days) and from what I could decipher in the OP, that tool would be an easy way to get started.

I use FreeBSD as a VirtualBox guest on top of Windows as my dev environment.

I installed /usr/ports/x11/xorg, /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 and /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose.

First I configured virtualbox-ose according to:

Then, I configured xfce according to:

I prefer to boot into a terminal and then type startx. I use doom emacs for keeping up with my projects.

Back