Dell Wireless 1397 with FreeBSD 11.2 RC3

Hi All,

I have installed FreeBSD 11.2 RC 3 in my Dell laptop along with Windows 10.
The problem is when I go for network setting during FreeBSD installation, It does not detect my wireless card but only Ethernet card is detected.
I checked the supported hardware list and found that my wireless card driver is not supported.
So far fine but I am not able to buy this thing since FreeBSD can run on very minimalistic hardware I heard.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't find real good instructions for the Broadcom driver:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/broadcom-bcm4312.32374/

You must install from the ports tree some firmware.
cd /usr/ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod/ && make install clean

There are 2 kernel modules to test individually. Don't load both.
kldload bwn_v4_ucode
and
kldload bwn_v4_lp_ucode

I would start with the LP version first. Then run the test like the post above shows.
Create the interface and do a scan, See if it bombs out.

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_173519336.jpg
    IMG_20180625_173519336.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 378
Connect the network to the wired interface. You'll need to have internet access to be able to download and install anything.

"No address record" means you're not connected or you haven't configured /etc/resolv.conf correctly.

And in the case where you are connected to a network, but still get the "No address record" message when trying to fetch packages, try to ping the address and then retry the pkg / fetch command. Sometimes it helps.

Once you get this firmware built and tested good the following line can be added to start up automatically:
/boot/loader.conf:
Code:
bwn_v4_lp_ucode_load="YES"

Hi all,

As suggested by all, I tried connecting my machine with Ethernet wire, it shows me active in ifconfig but I was unable to connect.
Then, I tried with USB tethering with my mobile and got the same result. I was able to use tethering in windows 10 successfully on the same machine.

Please guide me.

As suggested by all, I tried connecting my machine with Ethernet wire, it shows me active in ifconfig but I was unable to connect.
Please post the output. This will also show us which wired interface you have.

OK so you have an Marvel Yukon with msk0. I am guessing that is built in your laptop.
What is ue0? Do you also have a wireless USB ethernet adapter attached?

Have you configured msk0 in your startup file /etc/rc.conf? Please post the ifconfig lines and any network settings.
You should have a line like this ifconfig_msk0="DHCP" for dynamic IP. For static IP adjust to suit.

Hi all,

Yes, I have an Marvel Yukon with msk0 and that is built in my PC.
I attached USB tethering with my mobile to check if it works but it didn't (with windows it worked on the same machine).
I have configured my /etc/rc.conf file as suggested by you. Attached is the screenshot

Attachments

• IMG_20180714_211550.png
    IMG_20180714_211550.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 306
Hello, Vinay Sonwani
for the sake of installation, and setup. Please disable, and disconnect the ue0 device by commenting out that line in /etc/rc.conf(5) like so:
Code:
#ifconfig_ue0="DHCP"
Then unplug the usb device, and reboot. This should give you a working connection. You do have your ethernet cable connected to the network plug on your computer, and to your internet connection. Don't you? :)

If you still have problems after doing this. Please post the output of ifconfig(8).

HTH

--Chris

Hi Chris_H,

Thanks for the reply.
I only connected mobile tethering connection when Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection failed. Previously I was only trying with Wi-fi then Ethernet connection but both failed one by one. Output of ifconfig with only Ethernet connection, is attached.

Please guide.

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_213529558.jpg
    IMG_20180716_213529558.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 278
Hmm.. well that's not what we're looking for. :(
Anything interesting in /var/log/messages , or /var/run/dmesg.boot ?
As to your previous attampts at WiFi
Is there anything interesting in /etc/resolv.conf , or /var/db/dhclient.* ?
In fact the dhclient file will also apply to your ethernet.

Just looking for clues here. :)

--Chris

Hi All,

Attached are the screenshots for /var/log/messages and /etc/resolv.conf.

Apart from this, I went to /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf and checked my Kernel file. In that file bwi and bwn entries were commented with '#' character. I uncommented them, rebuild my kernel and installed the same again. After this when I hit ifconfig, still I am getting only msk0 and lo0 devices. Now I am completely lost.

Please guide me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_210556537.jpg
    IMG_20180724_210556537.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20180724_210759577.jpg
    IMG_20180724_210759577.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 265
You see your problem right?

Something in your upstream router/switch is set wrong.
You have a subnet mask showing for your Nameserver IP.
resolvconf -lv
Here is mine:
Code:
kook@E6420:~ # resolvconf -lv
DOMAIN=''
SEARCH=''
NAMESERVERS='192.168.200.1'
LOCALNAMESERVERS=''
DOMAINS=''
You can see here that my connections (dhcp/dns) server is not setup completely either.
SEARCH= should have an IP of 192.168.200.1 for me.

You are showing this:
search=192.168.0.103
nameserver=255.255.255.0

So all kinds of weirdness here. Usually you skip the 192.168.0.0 domains and start at 192.168.1.0
Also usually any servers like search, or nameserver are on the x.xxx.x.1 address unless specifically set differently.

So what is upstream of you? A router?
Totally wild guess here: You are behind an existing 192.168.1.1 box so you had to change the default IP on your router..

Everything I say above is predicated on the guess that you did not edit /etc/resolv.conf

Is this correct? resolv.conf does not need manual settings.
resolvconf is the service that handles populating /etc/resolv.conf and it will happen automatically if your network DHCP server is setup correctly.
To see what your dhcp/dns server is providing use resolvconf -l or resolvconf -lv

Looks like you're hooked up to CPE.
Tho, not without exception. Generally speaking (as Phishfry mentions), those boxes have a base of 192.168.0.0, and net of 192.168.0.255, with a single ethernet port. They run a DHCP server, that listens for solicitation(s) on 192.168.0.1. In fact. They usually have a web based GUI setup at that same address. So my guess would be. That if you wipe the contents of /etc/resolv.conf, and put only ifconfig_ue0="DHCP". You'll get a connection.
I just last night setup a Dell laptop, with similar gear.
My (ethernet) NIC is a different brand (broadcom) but my video is also Intel (different model), and my wireless NIC is also bwn(4).
The interesting parts of my rc.conf(5):
Code:
ifconfig_bfe0="DHCP"
kld_list="i915kms bwn_v4_ucode if_bwn"
wlans_bwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="ssid WirelessAP DHCP"
Everything on my Dell laptop just works.
I use an ssid (WirelessAP) in my config. Because I filter on MAC addresses for security.
Your line should read as necessary. But to start with, should only read ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP".
I also used the bwn[B]_[/B]v4[B]_[/B]ucode as opposed to the bwn[B]_[/B]v4[B]_[/B]lp[B]_[/B]ucode. Because on my laptop, the bwn[B]_[/B]v4[B]_[/B]lp[B]_[/B]ucode caused an instant panic.

--Chris

The search option in /etc/resolv.conf should not contain an IP address, remove it. If you don't know what to set search to then don't set it at all. It typically contains a list of (sub)domains to search in case somebody used a single hostname instead of a FQDN.

For example:
Code:
search example.com sub1.example.com sub2.example.com
nameserver 8.8.8.8
Now, if I try to ping a (short) hostname, like ping host1, the search will cause it to automatically lookup host1.example.com, host1.sub1.example.com and host1.sub2.example.com. This option is really only useful if you have multiple (sub) domains and you want to use short hostnames.

Back