Dell poweredge as a dev workstation

Hello,

Is it possible/sane to use (example) Dell PowerEdge R440 as a development workstation? It'll be a headless server and access will be via SSH.
I'm exploring options as such as this one due to the amount of time (2-4hrs+) it takes to build world/kernel and some ports. I do use devel/ccache and tmpfs(5)() with i7 8C/16T, 16GB RAM & 256 NVMe.

Thx,

Have you used a remote development server before? If not, you might consider renting a cheap VPS for a while just to get the workflow down. Once you nail that, buy the hardware and rock on.

Sure, but you can get better deals on Dell's Outlet and have full warranty on the system.
Dell's Outlet is more expensive.
Have you used a remote development server before? If not, you might consider renting a cheap VPS for a while just to get the workflow down. Once you nail that, buy the hardware and rock on.
Nahh! I think Lenovo ThinkStation p920 is a lot cheaper and I can maintain it however I please. I was thinking of going the Frankenstein's way by buying the parts I need and put them together myself, but I believe it was a hassle finding good deals on CPUs.

I prefer supermicro. All of the Dells are dual cpu which means more power and less efficiently. I bought a used server on ebay for $180 with 64GB of ram and swapped out the cpu for a $100 14 core E5

I prefer supermicro. All of the Dells are dual cpu which means more power and less efficiently. I bought a used server on ebay for $180 with 64GB of ram and swapped out the cpu for a $100 14 core E5
Not bad actually. I just did a quick search for E7-8890 v4 and they are $100 also. However, they are outdated and my concern is decreased performance due to degraded hardware since we don't know the history behind those used ones.

Not bad actually. I just did a quick search for E7-8890 v4 and they are $100 also. However, they are outdated and my concern is decreased performance due to degraded hardware since we don't know the history behind those used ones.
Intel counts on people thinking that way. Why are you dong buildworlds anyway? I've been using FreeBSD for 30 years and I've never done a buildworld. Ever.

Dell's Outlet is more expensive.
You have to dig a little on the outlet...
Supermicro has really good hardware and pretty good deals too..

On the outlet... Little less storage, but way more CPU power

• PowerEdge R640

Previous Online Price$14,907.00 Dell Outlet Price $3,885.00​

2 in stock
  • Like New (Refurbished)
    Intel Xeon Gold 5218R Processsor (20 Core, Up to 4.00GHz, 27.5MB Cache, 125W) QTY : 2 - (40 Core / 80 Threads)

No Operating System

240GB SSD SATA M.2 512e 6Gbps Drive

480GB SATA 6Gbps 512e 2.5inch Enterprise Class Solid State Drive, 1WPD

16GB RDIMM, 3200MT/s, Dual Rank QTY : 10 - (160GB Ram)

No Optical Drive

Broadcom 57414 Dual Port 10/25GbE SFP28 Adapter, PCIe Low Profile

Intel X550 Quad Port 10GbE, Base-T, rNDC

Chassis with Up to 8x2.5in HDD and 3 PCIe Slots

Dell Outlet PowerEdge R640

Intel counts on people thinking that way. Why are you dong buildworlds anyway? I've been using FreeBSD for 30 years and I've never done a buildworld. Ever.
I respectfully disagree. I've been working with Intel products for a very long time and I've seen them crap out due to heavy usage.

I buildworld for a project of mine and to report any bugs I catch to the FreeBSD devs. While I do not benefit financially from all the open source projects I use, I feel the need to give back, even if it's a 2-liner commit.

I have 100s of intel units in the field from before 2000 and I've never had a cpu or supermicro system fail in a data center. Ever. So you buy 2 cpus. It's a 90% discount.

Back