Dell mouse doesn't work

Hello,

I was trying to set up a FreeBSD machine, so I could learn more about Unix. Along the process, I learned that I can't use my mouse at all. It doesn't work in the terminal, and doesn't work in KDE3. It is a regular mouse from Dell and Microsoft, and I believe it uses the Intellimouse protocol. I've tried using sysinstall to configure it, but none of the ports work. I wonder if anyone else knows how to get this thing working? By the way, this is my first post, so if I messed something up, please tell me. Thanks in advance!

What version of FreeBSD and what type of mouse? USB or PS/2?

I'm using FreeBSD 9.1, and the Intellimouse protocol first emulates a regular PS/2 mouse, I believe. I'm using the generic kernel that came with the system, if that is of any help.

The question was about how the mouse is connected, via USB or PS2. A USB mouse with a default system should show a block cursor in the console. Get that first, before trying to figure out X.

Do not use sysinstall(8). It is obsolete.

I can confirm that a regular USB mouse does indeed work. As to my earlier comment, I meant that the mouse (should) emulate a PS/2 mouse first. As for the kernel thing, I thought it may have been useful information, in case the drivers or such are contained in the kernel. I'm new to FreeBSD, so please tell me if this is incorrect. Also, thanks for the tip about sysinstall.

EmeraldBot said:
I can confirm that a regular USB mouse does indeed work. As to my earlier comment, I meant that the mouse (should) emulate a PS/2 mouse first. As for the kernel thing, I thought it may have been useful information, in case the drivers or such are contained in the kernel. I'm new to BSD, so please tell me if this is incorrect. Also, thanks for the tip about sysinstall.

Whoops, I made a mistake. The USB mouse works in the standard terminal, but not in KDE.

adripillo said:
If you are using a PS/2 mouse you need to add to etc/rc.conf/

Code:
moused_enable="YES"

It's been a while since I had a PS2 mouse, but I think you only need moused(8) to get mouse cut and paste in the console. From what I recall, X does not need moused(8) enabled, even for PS2 mice.

Thanks for all the help! After enabling the dbus, hal, and moused programs, it works! The more I use FreeBSD, the more I am starting to really like it.

Back