default firewall in FeeBSD

I just installed FreeBSD 8.0 + xorg + gnome + firefox. As much as I know, there is no firewall with Gnome(probably just frontends for iptables, pf etc). However, am I correct, that there are IPFW, PF and IPF installed with the base FreeBSD system by default? Which one of those is activated by default?

m4rtin said:
I just installed FreeBSD 8.0 + xorg + gnome + firefox. As much as I know, there is no firewall with Gnome(probably just frontends for iptables, pf etc).
Gnome is a desktop environment and has nothing to do with networking.

However, am I correct, that there are IPFW, PF and IPF installed with the base FreeBSD system by default?
Yes, all three are part of the base FreeBSD OS.

Which one of those is activated by default?
None of them are activated by default.

m4rtin said:
I just installed FreeBSD 8.0 + xorg + gnome + firefox. As much as I know, there is no firewall with Gnome(probably just frontends for iptables, pf etc). However, am I correct, that there are IPFW, PF and IPF installed with the base FreeBSD system by default? Which one of those is activated by default?

For me was PF the easy way to setup.
You will find "howto" and examples too.

ok, I see. The reason why did I think that one of the firewalls is enabled by default was that I had some download issues with "pkg_add -rv packagename". It uses FTP and it seemed to me that FTP sessions did never start. However, it turned out, that this was the problem -> link. However, am I correct, that before enabling for example pf, I'm all open to the outside world?

m4rtin said:
ok, I see. The reason why did I think that one of the firewalls is enabled by default was that I had some download issues with "pkg_add -rv packagename". It uses FTP and it seemed to me that FTP sessions did never start. However, it turned out, that this was the problem -> link. However, am I correct, that before enabling for example pf, I'm all open to the outside world?

Not unless you have apps, that listen to some ports

m4rtin said:

You are behind a router, that's why you have to use passive FTP. This means your machine isn't directly accessible from the internet.

Back