decent pager anyone?

does anyone know of a half decent pager?
tried:
ipager: ok but it gives no clue to what apps are
bbpager:pants
obpager:cr@p
wampager:useless
pager: rubbish

I ended up with xfce4-panel
though it. as per modern practice (god knows why) installs a million dependents.
e.g: docbook? wtf?
and cups ferchrissakes! I don't even use cups.
what the hell is that for? a pager!

XFCE is a desktop environment. It's hardly surprising that installing a core part of XFCE actually needs XFCE to run (and it's not uncommon to have cups in a desktop environment either). Next time you install something random, type [cmd=]make missing[/cmd] in the port directory to see what else will be installed.

bigearsbilly said:
does anyone know of a half decent pager?

Define halfway decent.

Oh and by the way, to generalize what DutchDaemon said: most pagers are not independent apps but rather an integral part of a certain window manager (or desktop environment, even) so it's no surprise that installing one usually results in the entire WM or DE (and its dependencies) being installed as well.

Think of it this way: little meatballs are not particularly interesting on their own, you need a soup to put them into. And they don't go well with every kind of soup either.

Alphons

Edit: there may be some exceptions but I wouldn't know what they are; xfce4-panel sure ain't one, though.

fonz said:
to generalize what DutchDaemon said: most pagers are not independent apps but rather an integral part of a certain window manager (or desktop environment, even)
To paraphrase Yoda: "And that is why they fail."

Cups-client is a dependency of xfce (and many parts of xfce, like Thunar). At least, that's what [cmd=]pkg_info -R cups-client-1.3.10_4[/cmd] turns up on my system anyway. Don't know why the port listings don't show it (not even xfce4-print-4.6.1_1 ...).

Beastie said:
What on Earth are you talking about?

Find me one instance of cups in here.

[cmd=>]pkg_info -R /var/db/pkg/cups-client-1.3.10_4[/cmd]
Code:
Information for cups-client-1.3.10_4:

Required by:
aterm-1.0.1_3
cups-base-1.3.10_4
cups-image-1.3.10_4
driconf-0.9.1_2
farsight2-0.0.15
firefox-3.5.3,1
freeciv-2.1.9_1
gconf2-2.26.2_1
gegl-0.0.22_6
ggz-gtk-client-0.0.14.1_2
ghostscript8-8.64_6
gimp-2.6.6,2
gimp-app-2.6.6_3,1
gnash-0.8.5_3
gnome-icon-theme-2.26.0_2
gnome-keyring-2.26.3_1
gnome-mount-0.8_3
gnome-vfs-2.24.1_1
gnustep-back-0.16.0_1
gnustep-gui-0.16.0_1
gsbench-0.5.2_2
gstreamer-plugins-gnomevfs-0.10.24,3
gtk-2.16.6
gtk-engines2-2.18.2_1
gvfs-1.2.3_2
libafterimage-1.18_1
libbonoboui-2.24.1_1
libglade2-2.6.4_1
libgnome-2.26.0_1
libgnomecanvas-2.26.0_1
libgnomeui-2.24.1_1
libgsf-1.14.15_1
libnotify-0.4.5_1
libopenraw-0.0.8_1
libpurple-2.6.2
librsvg2-2.26.0_1
libsoup-2.26.3_2
mencoder-0.99.11_4
midori-0.1.2_1
mirage-0.9.3
mplayer-0.99.11_14
netsurf-1.1_3
openoffice.org-3.1.1
pidgin-2.6.2
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_2
poppler-gtk-0.10.6_1
py26-gimp-app-2.6.6_1
py26-gnome-2.26.1_1
py26-gstreamer-0.10.16
py26-gtk-2.14.1_1
scribus-1.3.3.13_1
webkit-gtk2-1.0.1_8
wxgtk2-common-2.8.10_1
wxgtk2-unicode-2.8.10_1
xscreensaver-5.08_1
Mind, many years ago I tried (oh, Lord, I tried) to keep cups off of my system with custom build flags and such by the thousands (okay, 9 or 10 at most), because, you know, I just don't use printers. I don't have a printer. I don't print stuff out. (I also don't own a watch or carry a mobile phone, and they are related, but it's not important right now)

It wasn't worth it. Everything wants cups. It sneaks in: they change the make flags to fool you into installing cups. I installed cups and I still don't know why everything wants it. The only time I have used printing in almost ten years is to print a test page on a network printer to see if it would work on Windows NT4 under qemu, and that was three years ago.

I suppose dbus and hal are the same story. And sometimes people wonder why I think Stallman and Gates are the same person.

CUPS is optional with Xfce:

Code:
$ pkg_info -rx xfce |grep -ci cups
$ cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4 && make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for xfce-4.6.1:
     ICONS=on "Install a full icon theme"
     ORAGE=off "Install the Xfce calendar application"
     MOUSEPAD=on "Install the Xfce text editor"
     TERMINAL=on "Install the Xfce terminal application"
     APPFINDER=on "Install the Xfce application finder"
     MIXER=off "Install the Xfce mixer application"
     PRINT=off "Install the Xfce printing helper"
     GDM=off "Install the login manager gdm"
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

(but printing is enabled by default)

yes well, I know people, I know.
agreed - an ill-considered rant.
but why does nobody work efficiently anymore?
all these dependencies? gets on my nerves things like gnome-bloat.

so anyway there isn't one then?

bigearsbilly said:
an ill-considered rant
Even a rant can sometimes spark an interesting discussion resulting in something good.

Most of the time it just ends in flaming though :(

bigearsbilly said:
so anyway there isn't one then?
At least not that I know of. I think your best bet would be to install a WM or DE for which there is a pager. If (like me) you don't like bloat, fvwm2 is a relatively lean and highly configurable window manager with a good pager. Even more minimalistic but somewhat less flexible is blackbox (and possibly some of its clones/derivatives), for which there is bbpager.

Hope this helps,

Alphons

tpager is what you're looking for. No dependencies except few standard x11 libs. It's not in ports though, but you may find it by searching for tpager-0.2.tar.bz2 in google.

Back