Debian pushes development of kFreeBSD port

How do you see Debian using BSD kernel

I am really excited about Debian squeeze which is going to use BSD kernel .

I want to see how gnu/kbsd looks like .

your thoughts..???

[ Merged with existing topic - Mod. ]

CodeBlock said:
Agreed... These types of projects I find a waste.. If you like BSD use BSD.. If you don't then stick with what you like. I see no point in trying to port BSD's goodies over to Linux. If you like, for example, ports, then use BSD.

Same things with Gentoo/FreeBSD... just stupid, in my opinion.

Another one is Glendix, which if I understand correctly, aims to put the Plan 9 userland on top of the Linux kernel.

I don't see the point of these projects either. It seems to me that if you want the benefits of Plan 9 or BSD, you should use them as is.

If something you want is missing there, you'd probably be better off spending your time figuring out how to add it, instead of embarking on one of these projects. It probably won't take that much more effort and the results will probably be a lot more satisfying.

It's not like the Linux kernel is the greatest piece of software ever written.

asifnaz said:
I am really excited about Debian squeeze which is going to use BSD kernel .

I want to see how gnu/kbsd looks like .

your thoughts..???
I run it with deep satisfaction from beta 2 on a AMD 64 bit machine (64 bit version). It is definitely stable and u can get both FreeBSD and Linux userland in the same machine. And considering it is long time I do enjoy both the worlds (in same situations Linux is better, in others BSD have no equals), this Squeeze project really exites me. I pretty much tested a lot of stuff (both Gnome, KDE, Lxde, both the userland interfaces, actually I do run them together) and I'm definitely happy with this project growing really really fast.

It is also definitely stable (I run the 8.1 version of the FreeBSD kernel), I like the attitude to install all the up to date software (like GDM 3 as display manager) and considering I'm confortable with both the words I would consider it, in the future, also for more important machines in my environment, for now it is just some satisfied testing

The only advantage I can see is that Java is no longer a pain in the *** to install.
I still prefer FreeBSD for everything else at the moment.

Back