Solved Dealbreaker

OK. This seems like a dealbreaker. I cannot get my pictures of my Nikon D7100. Not through the camera, not through a cardreader. They’re not recognized. This is bad news. I guess I need to buy a cheap windows/Linux machine when I want to stay on FreeBSD or I must switch back to Linux. I hate it. I hate it I hate it.

As far as I know that camera supports both FAT32 and exFAT. The problem with FAT32 is the 4GB filesize limit, if you don't record long videos, you can simply format that card with FAT32 filesystem. Otherwise, just use the exFAT driver as SirDice mentioned.

OK. This seems like a dealbreaker. I cannot get my pictures of my Nikon D7100. Not through the camera, not through a cardreader. They’re not recognized. This is bad news. I guess I need to buy a cheap windows/Linux machine when I want to stay on FreeBSD or I must switch back to Linux. I hate it. I hate it I hate it.

What do you hate? Chill out brotha

OK. This seems like a dealbreaker. I cannot get my pictures of my Nikon D7100. Not through the camera, not through a cardreader. They’re not recognized.

If I have non-compatible hardware, I tend to try out VirtualBox and the USB passthrough. It isnt the fastest without the additions (unavailable on FreeBSD) but still very usable.

'yeah I Can't get FBSD to read SC Card reader on my laptop either. you can still keep FBSD, and just put a linux/GNU live OS Distro on a usb stick then use that. or dual boot.

The SD card might be formatted with exFAT, have you tried sysutils/fusefs-exfat?
No. I’ll try it tomorrow. Today I got my photos of the card using a live Linux distro on usb. The card is recognized by fbsd (geom). It seems formatted as ntfs but ntfs-3g states that the label is incorrect. Hmm. Smells like MS so it might be exFAT.

yeah I Can't get FBSD to read SC Card reader on my laptop either. you can still keep FBSD, and just put a linux/GNU live OS Distro on a usb stick then use that. or dual boot.

Or you could get one of these. It's what I use to read an SD card on my laptops:

Or you could get one of these. It's what I use to read an SD card on my laptops:

I have a build in SD Card reader already... no way am I buying something to plug into my usb port to read an SD Card. I'm not really sweating it, that FBSD doesn't see it, or hook up to it. I got two other Linux and a Win10 on this laptop along with FreeBSD. so yeah I'm good. :)

The SD card might be formatted with exFAT, have you tried sysutils/fusefs-exfat?
gpart show da5
Code:
=>       63  124735425  da5  MBR  (59G)
         63      32705       - free -  (16M)
      32768  124702720    1  ntfs  [active]  (59G)

Trying to mount it as ntfs give an error (invalid NTFS). So, can’t read the sdcard. Ah well, booting a live-Linux stick does the trick. I can stay on FreeBSD.

Trying to mount it as ntfs give an error (invalid NTFS). So, can’t read the sdcard. Ah well, booting a live-Linux stick does the trick.
How did you mount it in Linux? As NTFS? It's really hard to believe a camera may use/support NTFS.
MBR scheme doesn't have a magic number for exFAT: NTFS and exFAT share the same 0x07.

How did you mount it in Linux? As NTFS? It's really hard to believe a camera may use/support NTFS.
MBR scheme doesn't have a magic number for exFAT: NTFS and exFAT share the same 0x07.
Yes that were my thoughts too. However, neither NTFS nor exFAT mount work. ExFAT refuses to mount an unknown partition. NTFS complains about an invalid NTFS. The Linux mount I don’t know. I forgot to look. Next time I boot up Linux I’ll take a look. Those things happen. Linux has become as easy as windows. All is done automatically.

gpart show da5
Code:
=>       63  124735425  da5  MBR  (59G)
         63      32705       - free -  (16M)
      32768  124702720    1  ntfs  [active]  (59G)
My camera (Sony) does the same. The partition is type “ntfs”, but the file system is exFAT. I can mount it read-only with the fusefs-exfat port on FreeBSD. If that doesn't work for you, please paste the exact error message. Also, what is the output of fstyp /dev/da5s1?

My camera (Sony) does the same. The partition is type “ntfs”, but the file system is exFAT. I can mount it read-only with the fusefs-exfat port on FreeBSD. If that doesn't work for you, please paste the exact error message. Also, what is the output of fstyp /dev/da5s1?
On Linux:
sudo blkid /dev/sdg1
/dev/sdg1: LABEL “NIKON D7100” UUID=(...) TYPE=“exfat “

On FreeBSD:
fstype /dev/da5s1
exfat

mount.exfat /dev/da5s1 /mnt
FUSE exfat 1.2.8
ERROR: failed to open fuse device. No such file or directory.

So, it’s exFAT alright. The device and slice exists (fstype confirms it) and yet, mount.exfat refuses and denies the existence. What to do?

UPDATE: I’m such a fool. I forgot to activate fuse. kldload fuse and the card mounted perfectly. Shit happens. Now I have to activate fuse somewhere in the rc.conf. (fuse_load=“YES”) Problem solved.

Now I have to activate fuse somewhere in the rc.conf. (fuse_load=“YES”) Problem solved.
In /etc/rc.conf: kld_list="fuse"

Alternatively in /boot/loader.conf: fuse_load="YES", but this is less efficient (read: slow), so this should be used only for devices that are required for booting.

Back