dbus issues

Dbus is running, /proc is mounted, kdm4_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf. Everything seems to be correct and a login window appears. Choosing a "KDE Plasma Workspace" session and logging in results in a small window with the "Could not start D-Bus. Can you run qdbus?" and an OK button.
If I specify at TWM session, it logs me in and I have a blank screen. Right clicking allows several options, one of which is XTERM. That choice works and I can do all the things one can do in an XTERM window. But NO KDE. Removing the line for procfs(4) from /etc/fstab does not change the result at all.

By the way, this started with an abnormal shutdown due to a power failure. All was working quite well prior to that shutdown.

Any suggestions most welcome!

It wasn't the same problem. The thread you responded to was 2 years old and related to an entirely different issue. Post split off into its own thread.

As far as I know DBus doesn't depend on /proc. Another thing to note is that TWM doesn't require or use DBus.

Can you post the output of ps -aux | grep dbus before you login? And what do you use, KDM, XDM, Slim, something else? Not every display manager will correctly start a DBus session.

DBus can be tricky. Do you have /etc/machine-id?
Normally, DBus should work with /var/lib/dbus/machine-id, but it did not for my system. So I had to generate /etc/machine-id and have DBus working normally.
# /usr/local/bin/dbus-uuidgen will generate the file.

Back