dbus gone wild

I'm running Xfce 4.4.3 on FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. When I start Xfce with slim, dbus sucks up 99% of my CPU. If I start Xfce from the command line, it behaves normally. What gives?

Also, the trash can on my Xfce desktop has disappeared. If I add the trash can to the panel, I just get a red circle with a white line in it and a pop-up reading: "Failed to connect to the Trash: Failed to connect to socket /var/tmp/dbus-YoRNdMwsET: Connection refused." A quick check of that socket shows my user owns it and I have full permissions. If I don't use slim and start Xfce from the command line, the trash can works fine.

As both of these issues seem to involve dbus, I think they're related.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I had the same problems (dbus-daemon used high CPU % and roxterm couldn't connect to dbus) when I started slim from /etc/ttys. Then I changed to starting xdm from /etc/ttys instead and the problems were gone. So it appeared to be an issue between dbus and slim.

ML

Well, I'm disappointed to hear that. I like slim. Oh, well, I guess it's back to xdm. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm disappointed to hear that. I like slim. Oh, well, I guess it's back to xdm. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I had the same problem, but it's not "back to xdm" -
actually, you can start slim not only from ttys, but just by
putting "slim_enable='YES'" in /etc/rc.conf

If started this way, everything works fine, including trash icon

Back