Daisy....Daisy....

Sad news you bring, reminding me to repeat the viewing of that monument of a movie which made him, partly, immortal.

The monolith exists. It now sits in front of the Watanabe Hall, the physics building at the University of Hawaii. It was recently repainted, as it had stopped being black, and become an ugly corroded green.

... and do students hit each other over the head in front of it, demonstrating tool using skills? Inquiring minds want to know.

No. Even when I was a (graduate) student there (in the late 80s), many of the young student had no idea what the monolith was, and didn't know the movie. Same with Dr. Strangelove. Sad, isn't it? Just 20 years, and our society forgets.

That was one of my favorite black and white flicks.
Slim riding down his ordinance was hilarious and stupid at the same time.
I think it did a good job showing what the Air Force expected out of their bomber crew in a humorous way..
Stanley really was one of the best directors ever. Add to this Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket and all you can say is wow.
He was truly a legend.

The two opener scenes, the ballet, and the closing are pure genius: The bomber planes having sex, to the tune of "Try a Little Tenderness". And the sun rising, after long dark music, to the Zarathustra Strauss tune. The spaceships circling and the ballpoint pen floating in the air to the "Blue Danube". And finally, all the beautiful nuclear explosions and "We'll meet again". Kubrick wasn't just a movie director; he was also a ballet choreographer.

In recent memory, the only thing that comes closes are a few of the opening scenes of Pixar movies. They also make great use of music.

For me its the ambiguous endings. It leaves alot open to interpretation.
Doctor Stranglelove can walk in the end.
The strange heaven like scene at the end of 2001.

Back