Daemon users and login classes

Hi folks,

Many daemons create specific users for providing their services. Looking at /etc/rc.subr and specific scripts such as /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gitlab_runner I see that su -m $user is used to switch to the user. It appears that the use of -m will prevent any use of login classes and hence prevent the environment being configurable for that user?

My immediate question is whether it's possible to make the gitlab-runner user a login class with a UTF-8 locale and charset? And more generally, for other daemon users.

(It's possible to set specific environment variables in the gitlab runner config.toml configuration file, so I have an immediate workaround for this case, but it made me curious if there was a proper way to do this with the facilities provided by the system.)

Thanks,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
The question wasn't about the login.conf format, it was rather about the configuration not being applied to daemon users when daemons are started. I've already created a login class with suitable configuration in /etc/login.conf and also tried the same in the daemon user home directory .login_conf, but neither have any effect that I can see due to the use of su -m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back